CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 24, 2003, 02:26 PM
Veteran

Red face SLOOOOOW F Drive

sponsored links

Why oh why is the F drive so slow???

I upgraded the hard drive recently to a 40Gb Seagate, yes I know it's not a 120Gb so you don't have to tell me to get a bigger drive! Anyways, this happened before I put the new drive in anyways.

It's just so slow to write to the F drive! Using an FTP connection, it refuses to go above 350kbps . This is regardless of using a 10Mbps or 100Mbps card, and besides, the same connection will write to any other drive at full speed. But the problem isn't just related to network transfer speeds. I'm currently sitting and waiting for a game to copy from the E drive over to the F using BoXplorer. It's taking as long as it would have if I had just left it transferring over the network. It's doing my head in! The weird thing is it WAS fine. When I had 32 gigs of space on F the transfers were flying, now there is a little over 7 gig free and the drive is crawling.

Anybody any ideas what the hell is causing this?!
Old May 24, 2003, 07:51 PM
Veteran

Okay, it appears to have fixed itself. Basically I rebooted the Xbox after letting it cool down for about 30 minutes, tried another transfer and it was hittin top speeds again! No idea how, but my guess would be that the buffers for either the network or IDE interfaces get clogged with residual data as they clearly weren't designed to do this kind of work, and as nothing cleans them out, it slows down. That's my idea anyways!

So for anyone begining to experience slow FTP transfers, just restart the Xbox!