CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old May 27, 2002, 03:53 AM
Veteran

Default Help!!! Smoke from back of PC!!!!

sponsored links

Right Guys, Help would be appreciated:

AMD 1400
Win 98se
2 x HD 20 & 60 Gig
1 cd rom 1 cd burner
300 watt psu

I accidentally knocked the power cable out the back of my PC. I turned the PC back on and it seemed fine. Later that evening i left the computer on overnight doing a system clean up. in the morning the computer was off and wouldnt power up - it was completely dead - so over the weekend i brought a replacement PSU (i had the old PSU tested in the shop and it wasnt working). I plugged in the new PSU and powered up. Windows started loading but after 15 seconds the psu made a funny sound like a kettle boiling and a massive plume of toxic smoke came out the back. i later unplugged the PSU and all oily stuff was leaking out of it.

So the new psu is fried, the old psu is dead - any ideas what might be causing it? is me mother board knackered? windows did start loading? could it be caused by too much of a power drain as its only been in the last month that ive fitted an extra 60 gig hd and extra cd rom?

I dont really want to go and buy another PSU just for it likely to blow again!!

Any body got any ideas

cheers mates

[email]brettloveday@aol.com[/email]
Old May 27, 2002, 04:18 AM
Veteran

This is might an unfortunate thing that can happend, the old PSU had it, and you just came across another nackered PSU which can happend, surely another working PSU should do it.

Regards
Old May 27, 2002, 05:52 AM
Veteran

If the PSU you bought was faulty then they will give you another one for free.
Old May 27, 2002, 05:56 AM
Veteran

i was thinking that if i took the psu back to the shop they would tell me to bugger off as id already taken my original in for testing - i think they will just say there is nothing wrong with our psu it must be your computer blowing them up!!
Old May 27, 2002, 09:49 AM
Veteran

ive called the shop up - they have told me to bring my computer down and they have said they will put a new psu in for me but they have said if it blows up in the shop (they want to leave running for 20 minutes) they will charge me for it!!! is it possible for a fault on the motherboard ect to blow up the PSU? i dont really want to risk another 20 odd quid
Old May 27, 2002, 09:59 AM
Veteran

It is not uncommon for a piece of hardware to go and then a brand new replacement piece to be faulty as well, I do agree with the magpies on this one and cannot see the MB causing it
Closed Thread