CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Consumer's Opinion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 10, 2002, 11:08 AM

Lightbulb A DVD burner 2buy?? wut 2 do o wut 2 do

sponsored links

i need you guys help once again. im getting a premod ps2 and a dvd burner , i havent decide yet with premod i want yet. but i think i know which dvd burner to get check out this and tell me if its good or not.

Sony DRU110A/C1 Highlights •
• Up to 4.7 GB Capacity with DVD+RW media
• 2.4X Recording (DVD+RW), 8X Reading (Max.)
• 12X CD-R Recording (Max.) 10 X CD-RW Recording (Max.) 32X Reading (Max.)
• Compatible with many home DVD players. To see if your DVD player is DVD+RW compatible,

Up to 4.7 GB Capacity
Sony's DVD+RW drive records up to 4.7 GB of data or more than 2 hours of high quality MPEG2 video on a ReWritable DVD+RW disc.

Compatible with CD-R and CD-RW media
The DRU110A/C1 drive also records on standard CD-R (up to 12X Max.) and CD-RW (up to 10X Max.) media.

Buffer underrun protection
Sony's DRU110A/C1 drive includes buffer underrun technology to provide worry-free recording.

DVD+RW Compatibility with DVD Video players
Sony DVD+RW disc are compatible with playback on most DVD Video players. Edit and record your home movies on a DVD+RW disc and play it on your home entertainment system.

Complete Software Suite for Windows PCs
The DRU110A/C1 drive kit includes a complete suite of high performance recording software to get the maximum use from your new DVD+RW drive.

The DRU110A/C comes complete with DVD authoring software for converting your video footage into DVD format, as well as software for burning CDs and DVDs

MyDVD
Authoring software that lets users record to DVD+RW media directly from audio and video appliances, as well as edit and customize DVDs

B's Clip
Packet writing software that allows users to drag and drop files and folders to DVD+RW and CD-RW discs s as easily as to a floppy disk or hard drive

B's Recorder Gold
Mastering software that lets users create back-up copies of DVDs and CDs as well as customized video, music and data DVDs and CDs from various file formats

WinDVD
DVD-Video playing software that enables interactive viewing of DVD-Video discs on a PC

Capacity
• Media Maximum: 4.7 GB (DVD disc)
• Hardware Maximum: 4.7 GB (DVD disc)

Sustained Transfer Rate
• 11.4 MB/s (8X DVD-ROM)

Burst Transfer Rate
• 33 MB/s Ultra DMA

Random Access Time
• 140 ms (DVD 8X)
• 120 ms (CD 32X)

Buffer Memory
• 2MB

Interface
• EIDE/ATAPI

Disc Loading
• Motorized Tray

Power Consumption
• 16W (Max)

Dimensions (W x H x D)
• 5.7 x 1.64 x 7.73 (in)

Supported Operating Systems
• Windowsฎ 98SE/2000, Windows Millennium Edition, and Windows XP™ Home/Prefessional operating systems

Media and Modes Supported
• DVD+RW: DVD-ROM, DVD-Video
CD: CD-DA, CD-ROM (XA), CD Extra, Video CD, Photo CD*, CD Text
*Not supported with the bundled software, additonal software required
Old Nov 10, 2002, 09:18 PM
suspended

Moving to Consumer's opinion forum
Old Nov 10, 2002, 10:28 PM
Veteran

its an ok writer i guess. im no expert.

you do realise that dvd+r media is harder to find, and sometimes u can pay upto 4x more than that of dvd-r media. but, if you have the money, why not .....

personally, if i were you, ide try and get my hands on the latest sony drive if you can find it cheap enough. it reads and writes both +r and -r media, so you cant lose either way.
or maybe even one of the pioneer range.

my mate has a +r/+rw dvd writer and he wants rid of it due to the fact he can hardly find media anywhere in our area, and when he does, its very pricey.

maybe it would be best to do a little reseach before you take the plunge. check your local computer stores to make sure you can get the right media at the right price first.

just my 2 cents
Old Jan 16, 2003, 01:00 PM

i got a pioneer 105 dvd-r about 2 months ago and i love it i would steer away fron dvd=r if i were you not compatable on all ps2 games
Old Jan 16, 2003, 01:02 PM

sorry dvd+r
Old Jan 16, 2003, 03:50 PM
Veteran

IF that is the model then steer clear of it as that model is the first generation sony THAT ONLY SUPPORTS DVD+RW. IT DOESN"T SUPPORT THE WRITE ONCE FORMATS. Here is a little help. DVD-R (write once) has the highest compatibility at about 90%. DVD+R (write once) is at about 80%. Both the +rw/-rw (rewriteable) are somewhere between 60% and 70% and the media is much more expensive. If you are doing either PS2 or Xbox backups virtually everyone on here will tell you to go with DVD-R format since quite a few people have had failures with DVD+R/+RW and the DVD+R media is generally more expensive. Did you find this on www.ubid.com as they are currently the only place I know of that still sells this out of date drive not to meniton that the drives are all refurbished and have a tendency to crap out before they are supposed to (not to mention the limited warranty). Get either a Pioneer105 or Cendyne105 (Cendyne is the exact same as Pioneer it just has the Cendyne label on the box) drive as these will cost you about $250 (unless there is a special deal going on them I got one from officemax after tax and rebates for $180). This also has the ability to write at 4x whereas the sony model you listed doesn't. If you want to buy a sony get the dru500a which has both the +/- formats and will do both of the write once formats at 4x but this drive runs at $350+ and unless the + format really means alot to you I would simply get the Pioneer105 (Cendyne105). NO MATTER WHAT DO NOT BUY THE DRU110A. Hope this helps.