CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 07, 2004, 08:29 PM

Default Flowchart for burning a DVD

sponsored links

I have at last managed to rip and copy a DVD video using the programs DVD Shrink and CopytoDVD. But frankly, without my notes I would have been lost. I am aware of IFO, ISO, mpeg2, VOB etc, etc. I have read up on these there are some great tutorials. But what is the relationship of the many formats (file endings) to each other. What gets converted to what and why and when? And are there any options?

As an engineer (retired) my projects were controlled by flowcharts. Simplistically, these show the time and relationship of each part of a project to each other. Flowcharts with their critical paths, are great tools, but take some learning.

I have long thought that if there was a flow chart incorporating all the various aspects of making a DVD, incorporating the various formats, file endings, alternative paths, options, etc, then (to me) my DVD making life would be that much easier.

The software wizards must prepare flowcharts when assembling their software programs.

The following list of DVD tasks could be incorporated in the flowchart:
Copy DVD to DVD (films, data, games, etc)
VHS to DVD
Home movies to DVD
TV to DVD
Etc.
For the sake of simplicity at this stage, it could be assumed that NTSC rules.

Most work flowcharts (that I know) flow from left to right. Such a DVD Assemble Flow Chart (abbrev. to DAFC) could include several left hand entries point depending on the task in hand (see tentative list above). I assume here that many of the tasks would join up further along the DAFC. At the extreme right hand end of the DAFC would the burned DVD.

The DAFC could include suggested software at various stages. There could be different versions of the DAFC by incorporating or omitting technical references, international standards and the like.

The DAFC could show alternative paths (either in color or dotted lines) to arrive at the finished burned DVD.

Does anyone know of such flowchart ?? Is it feasible ??

Somersetlad