CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 23, 2002, 10:19 AM

Question BIN/ISO images - burning blanks! [Dell; Dimension 4100; winXP]

sponsored links

I have a Plextor 12/10/32a burner with 1.04 firmware. I previously had it installed as a Master drive on a self-built computer (ECS mainboard) and never had a problem burning image files.

Yesterday, I decided to move the drive to my Dell system because I had bought a DVD drive in my other computer. I hastily put it in below the existing CD-ROM drive to the end of the IDE cable lableled CD2. The first connector (labeled CD1) goes to the CD-ROM. Both are on the secondary IDE channel. I didn't even check the jumpers, but it is configured as a slave. Maybe it should be master as it was on my old system?

Anyways, the problem I am having is one that someone had long ago on these forums, but no solution was posted. Everytime I burn an ISO/BIN file, the burn completes successfully and I can physically see the CD has been burned... but when I try to read the discs it indicates that the CD has nothing on it! My other computer says the data on the disc may be corrupt or the disc is not formatted correctly. Either way, no good.

Well, I am at work right now and am trying to narrow down the problem for when I get home. I have tried two different software types (Fireburner and Blindwrite) as well as different media. Do you think it is a cabling problem? Can CDs appear to burn successfully but have problems due to the IDE setup? Maybe I should make it the only drive on the first IDE connector and see if that works? I did have it as a master before on my old system...

Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks for any ideas!
Old Sep 19, 2002, 05:59 AM

I know this sounds stupid... but have you Finalised your burn session? do that, and that should fix it. If otherwise then I have no clue.

good luck
Old Sep 19, 2002, 10:23 AM

Talking I already fixed the problem...

All I did was update the firmware to the latest version (1.09 I believe?) and that solved all my problems with burning blanks! There must've been some changes in the firmware that fixed that issue. Thanks for the suggestion tho