CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 98
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 02, 2002, 09:52 PM

Unhappy Pls help!!! Audio problems... [; PII 233; win98SE]

sponsored links

Recently, I have been having problems with the audio on my computer. After I have opened a few audio files using Windows Media Players (v6.4), the sound on my system stops. Windows sounds, MP3's, video...everything except for being able to play audio CD's.

When I try to open an audio/video file, I get this message in a pop up box:

"Cannot play back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available."

If I click on the "Advanced>>" button, I then get this:

"Cannot play back the audio stream: no audio hardware is available. (Error=00040258)"

When I click on the "More Help" button which launches a browser to the Microsoft site, I get this message:

"You do not have a sound card installed on your machine, the sound card is not set up correctly, or another application is using the sound card. (Error=00040258)"

I lose complete sound (except for playing CD's) and have to restart my computer to listen to MP3's. Oh, this problems occurs for all my media players, not just with Media Player.

I went to Control Panel, clicked System and looked at Devices but there were no indicated errors.

Can someone please shed some light on this problem please. I'm no computer expert and having to restart my computer every 3-5 MP3's is doing my head in.

Many thanks,

S
Old Sep 03, 2002, 03:54 AM
Veteran

First off, what sound card do you have and has it got the latest drivers installed? Next thing to check is that the card is fixed in its slot correctly.

CD sound will still work because there is a cable direct from the cd drive to the sound card.
Old Sep 03, 2002, 09:34 AM

Thx Captain, I have an Ensoniq Soundscape Vivo soundcard which has the latest drivers installed (even though it's old). I checked to see if the card was properly fitted and it's tightly fixed into the slot.

I do get sound, but after a few uses, the problem occurs and I am having to restart the damned machine to get sound back - pretty unacceptable for a multimedia machine eh???

Any further advice please???!!!