CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Audio CDs & MP3
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 06, 2002, 10:30 AM

Default Samsung SW-224B won't read Protected Audio CD's - Workaround??

sponsored links

Hi Guys. I’ve just bought a Samsung SW-224B (40x24x10) and well, I should have looked it up a bit more before buying.. There’s a nice comprehensive review at CDR-Info, and I’ve found this unit will not read ANY protected (damaged!) Audio CD – of course, I discovered this too late..

So I start ripping CD’s with it for the 1st time this morning, and sure enough, quickly ran into an Aretha Franklin CD which would simply just not read… Drive did not recognise there was a disk inserted… sigh… Worked well with everything else, so I’m hoping my collection doesn’t contain too many of these 'protected' disks.. I have 700 or so audio cd’s, at considerable cost, any I’m pissed off I can’t rip them to my pc for private use, well, okay, I am a sharing kind of person, but that’s not the point here.. It’s just that with the way it’s going, there’s likely to be more and more of the b@$tards cropping up…

My ‘old’ BTC BCE1610IM (traded for the Samsung) had no troubles recognising any cd’s, including this particular Aretha one (although some of those Audio+Multimedia ones caused a few probs..)

I've a nice working set of s/ware including Nero, Clone, dbPoweramp, MP3 Workshop, Feurio and Cdex but these can't help me copy or rip if they all think the tray's not loaded....

I’ve checked Forum/FAQ’s and sussed out possible firmware, but am drawing blanks at the moment..

I’m wondering if there’s any “work around” or tricks for this, although I’m fairly resigned to having to live with this problem…. I reckon I know what you’re gonna say..

Last edited by toecutter; Feb 06, 2002 at 10:37 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2002, 08:52 AM

Mods - should this be moved to CDRW?? Thx ...
Old Feb 07, 2002, 10:39 AM
Veteran

Err... This is the Audio CD forum and the post is about Audio CDs (it's even regarding reading Audio CDs not writing them)?

My only suggestion would be to add a CD-ROM or a Lite-on LTD163 DVD-ROM (if you don't have a DVD drive), just for DAE. And pick one carefully for it's DAE capabilities. Check www.cdspeed2000.com for the fastest and reliable DAE drives.

Last edited by Keymaster; Feb 07, 2002 at 10:41 AM.
Old Feb 07, 2002, 11:06 AM

Thanks KM... Boy, if I've gotta buy one of those, I hope you realise you may not get your Birthday prezzie this year!!