CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 14, 2002, 09:23 PM

Question how do I open router ports? [linksys router; ; winXP]

sponsored links

Using a Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router for a LAN at home. Lan works. Not using router firewall, but running Norton 2003 Fwall and internet safety from Norton as well. Tried entirely disabling the firewall, and it still would not work how I wanted to. I have Warcraft 3, and it has the option to run on a LAN. I know the LAN works, because I have been transferring all kinds of files today, (I just set it up). I have found some help from a different site, and it suggests that I make sure that I have ports 6112- 6119 open to TCP and UDP. I have no idea what this means, or how to do it. I have tried, but to no avail. So, I humbly petition the Wizard of PC's that are members out there to see if they have any ideas on this.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks,
duwatchulyke
Old Oct 15, 2002, 12:09 AM
Veteran

Did you try reading the manual for your router?

You need to access the configuration page of the Linksys router. For Linksys you point your webbrowser to ********192.168.1.1. (If it ask for a username\password the default for linksys routers is usually <blank>\admin) Then on the "Forwarding" tab enter the port range that you want to open and the IP address of the system you want it to go to. It's fairly self explanatory once you see it.

BTW, since you have a router it's a little redundant to install a firewall program. Why install a program that takes up system resources that you don't need?

Last edited by QWERTY; Oct 15, 2002 at 12:14 AM.
Old Oct 16, 2002, 09:37 AM

I knew that address, and I could not access the router. I should have stated so in my question. The problem was that I could not access the router itself, and I did get through the forwarding part, and everything now works great! What I had to do was call Linksys customer support, because I have rogers internet service, and for it to work, I have to obtain an address. To access the router, though, I had to specify a different address other than the one that was provided for me. I do not know the technicals of it, but suffice it to say, I did access the router. Thanks for your answer, qwerty, and I did not realize about the firewall. I noticed no slowdown in processing power really, though, running the firewall through the software. I have a P4 2.4, 512 MB DDR 2700, running 2 HDD's in RAID. I do not mind running the firewall.
Old Dec 02, 2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duwatchulyke View Post
Using a Linksys BEFSR41 4 port router for a LAN at home. Lan works. Not using router firewall, but running Norton 2003 Fwall and internet safety from Norton as well. Tried entirely disabling the firewall, and it still would not work how I wanted to. I have Warcraft 3, and it has the option to run on a LAN. I know the LAN works, because I have been transferring all kinds of files today, (I just set it up). I have found some help from a different site, and it suggests that I make sure that I have ports 6112- 6119 open to TCP and UDP. I have no idea what this means, or how to do it. I have tried, but to no avail. So, I humbly petition the Wizard of PC's that are members out there to see if they have any ideas on this.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks,
duwatchulyke

what you should do is either use command prompt to find your defualt gateway or go to control pannel and go to internet connections where it says that your connected click it a box with the area of about 8in2 but anyways once that box is up go to support it shows your ip adress and such but find your default gateway type the defualt gateway in your internet browser then it takes you to a page and once your there hit admin login in about 1 inch from the topr right cornor if you cannot login just hit advance then go to application and type in the starting port 6112 and in the ending port type 6119 then to the left it says enable hit yes then hit save canges once done it will say the internet is unpluged but for just 5 seconds then ta-da you ports are open
Old Dec 02, 2008, 09:32 PM
Veteran

A bit late now after 6 years.

colin.