CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows ME
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jun 22, 2003, 05:11 PM

Unhappy installing new mobo with old hard drive [clone; ; winME]

sponsored links

Just wondering if anyone can give some advice on uninstalling my old mother board drivers on my old hard drive before I install a new mother board using the same old hard drive . Do I have to be concerned about the old drivers interferring with my new mobo or will the new drivers over write the old ones ? Never done this kind of upgrade before , usually I install a new hard drive with a new mobo , everything is a complete new install that way with less troubles . Thanks for any suggestions you folks may have .
Old Jun 22, 2003, 05:27 PM
Veteran

I hate to say it, and I can garauntee that someone will post after me saying it can be done perfectly safely and everything but personally something as major as a mobo change will require a rebuild of the OS. There are just WAY to many things that change, and running ME, I wouldn't really give it a hope of staying stable (Using the word 'stable' lightly of course!).

I honestly think that backing up all data and starting from scratch is going to be FAR less troublesome than trying a motherboard change with a live OS.

Just my opinion however.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 06:34 PM

Memphis is correct, I'm not familiar with ME at all (Thank Goodness!!!) but I know it's next to impossible with XP, the hardware confirguration is very important, and obviously the MB is the biggest piece of the config puzzle.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 05:34 AM

if you don't want to format, and are ok using dos, you'll be able to move everything you want to keep into a folder on the root, delete the windows folder and program files folder from dos and re-install without having to backup numerous gigabytes of treasured files. another reason i'm sticking to FAT32...
Old Jun 23, 2003, 03:43 PM

Why not use something like partition magic, partion your existing HDD and then just move your valuable files onto the new partition. Then you can do a clean windows install like has been suggested.

I just upgraded my mobo, and tried running XP prior to reinstalling but it wouldn't get past the login screen.

Better to format your C drive and start from scratch - if you've had ME installed for some time it's probably worthwhile anyway.