CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 26, 2006, 09:38 PM

Default Loading Boot Discs, but not games

sponsored links

Okay, so. I got a dreamcast, March2000, supposedly reads cdr's according to date. But here in lies the problem, first thing I did was get some .cdi's, self booting, burned them using Alcohol, raw dao, 8x. put them in, didnt work. So i was like, alright, maybe it needs a boot disc. Burned utopia boot, worked fine, put in the game, nothing happens. So i reburned the games using cdi2nero didnt work. Iburned them using disc juggler mode2 raw, no luck. So what i'm not getting is why the DC reads boot cds, but not games....
Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:09 PM

Cool use disc juggler

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanwier
Okay, so. I got a dreamcast, March2000, supposedly reads cdr's according to date. But here in lies the problem, first thing I did was get some .cdi's, self booting, burned them using Alcohol, raw dao, 8x. put them in, didnt work. So i was like, alright, maybe it needs a boot disc. Burned utopia boot, worked fine, put in the game, nothing happens. So i reburned the games using cdi2nero didnt work. Iburned them using disc juggler mode2 raw, no luck. So what i'm not getting is why the DC reads boot cds, but not games....
evanwier,

Use discjuggler
select new
Burn CD and DVD images 'click ok'

Select your source CDI to burn.

'click' the advanced thumbnail
Uncheck [ ] add post - gap to 3rd party images.

'Check' [X] TAO Write

insert a blank disc and click start.

This should create a good bootable game disc unless yous cd burner's ASPI is not updated you may be having problems from that.

But try it and let me know.

twist222
Old Nov 01, 2006, 08:08 PM

ok you could do what twist sayed or when you use nero when you get to the burn screen (where all the options are befor you hit burn) change DAO to TAO or track at once.
Old Jan 04, 2007, 06:25 AM

Default What Happened With CDI2NERO

what exactly happened when you used cdi2nero did it fail to make a nrg or did it make one and you burned it and it wouldn't boot?

if it made it and wouldn't boot then it could be the setting you burned it at allways use "Disk At Once" Not "Track At Once" Or "Disk At Once/96" there is a reason that cdi2nero make DAO images and not TAO images and also if your drive supports low burning speeds burn at 4x or lower to ensure there aren't read errors when you pop it in the dreamcast also if none of the above works and you happen to have a sony cd writer of most any model or a LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-8125 or any number of other cd writers that dont support writing the small session and track that is used in the boot process you will need to get a new writer i have a old YAMAHA CRW2100E that works great for burning dreamcast games.

and also FYI you only need the boot disk for .cue .bin format releases that have a IP.BIN file on the cd
Old Apr 07, 2007, 04:14 AM

Regarding the liteon/sony problem you mentioned above, do you know if I could be having similar problems because of my particular drive models?

I have been unable to get *anything* on cdr to boot, including Utopia. >_<

dvdrw : liteon 1633s with 1653s fw (version CS0T)
cdrw: sony cdr195e crossflashed to liteon 4812s (with fw VSOD)

We bought some official games from GameStop (like $.75 each!!!) but I'd still very much like to get some of the open source stuff working, especially DreamSNES.

Also, is the DC finnicky with any particular manufacturers' blank media?

I've picked up some Taiyo Yuden discs just in case (Maxell CDR-Pro), but haven't burned 'em yet, seeing as how I went through 10-12 CMC discs before I had the sense to see if this was an MIT / MIJ problem, something fuxored with my drives, or (most probably) my own ignorance of how to properly write these images in the first place.
Old May 03, 2007, 03:06 AM

Default I Need Help!!!!! Please

but can you tell me if i could use a code breaker as a boot disk to play import games on my dreamcast, it was manufactured August, 2000