CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Device Driver Questions
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 19, 2003, 10:31 AM

Unhappy **Help** Modem Woes

sponsored links

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all

My sister lives a considerable distance from me and she's having modem troubles. Please help if you can

She's on windows 98 (no system restore argh!), she's just moved house and reset her pc back up. All is connected, however somehow in the move her modem is no longer recognised by her pc / operating system.

Her pc was remodded a while ago by her then boyfriend, I have no idea what modem it is! How do I get a driver to it and get it running? I have a connection, so can download anything that's needed.

Please help, she's quite scary when she wants to be
Old Sep 19, 2003, 05:39 PM
suspended

Open the box to check if the modem card got loose. I don't see how a move only affected the driver while, apparently from your post, Windows can still load. Check the phone wire and the wall jack, too.

Without knowing the modem make/model, looking for its drivers is not an easy job.

In the worst case, one can buy a new modem for as little as $7 USD.
Old Sep 29, 2003, 12:34 PM

Van Nugent Allow me

First make sure that no modems are listed in device manager to do this right click my computer and then properties and look for a tab called modems if that tab aint their then okay but if it is there click it and write down the name of the modem and then remove the modem. Shut the computer down. Now What you need to do is remove the modem from your computers motherboard and look at the top. On one of the chips is the name and make of your modem. Easily solved their. Now reboot your pc with the modem out and then shut it down switch it off. Put your modem back in and reboot the pc when windows boots it will say found new hardware. Have your driver disk ready or make sure you know what folder you zipped the drivers to. Click the browse button and select the folder on your harddisk or cd and if it gives you an option of what type of modem click the right one and select okay. When it has done that restart it and then your modem should work providing you got the right model and make.

Freemer