CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Device Driver Questions
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 08, 2004, 03:50 PM

Unhappy Added new hard drive, now CDrom drive won't work

sponsored links

My husband added a 2nd hard drive to our computer, and since then, we've had issues with our CDrom drive. For awhile, it would just throw fits sometimes, like not opening or not reading a disc. However, now we can't get it to open at all. The light comes on and it makes noise like it's going to open, but it doesn't. Any suggestions?
Old Sep 08, 2004, 03:52 PM

oh yes...and I already tried reinstalling the drivers for the cdrom...didn't work
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:51 AM
Veteran

We're the drives Mastered and Slaved rt ??
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:33 AM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Firstly, optical devices don't use drivers.

Secondly, it's preferably even with newer motherboards, to have optical devices and hard drives on separate controllers as master and slave.

Check the physical connections first, then check the bios and Device Manager.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:35 AM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

Also before I forget, try another husband.
Old Sep 30, 2004, 01:33 PM

Thanks for replying, but that comment was kind of rude. Our computer has had some big problems for awhile due to viruses and so forth, so it's not all his fault.

Anyway, the drives were mastered and slaved. I also noticed that my secondary hard disk controller has an error...the device manager shows the yellow sign with the exclamation point and says

"This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. [Code 10].

Try upgrading the drivers for this device."

Well, I tried upgrading the drivers by having windows check, and also by uninstalling then restarting the computer and have windows recognize the hardware itself. This didnt work, and instead popped up two of the same AMD 756 PCI Bus Master Dual IDE controllers, and two Secondary IDE controllers...although there's only one Primary IDE controller. All the controllers work except ONE of the Secondary IDE controllers, which I believe is the culprit causing the problems with the CDROM, but I just can't get the error to fix itself. Any more suggestions?