CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows XP
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 16, 2003, 10:38 AM

Default PCI Sound Card sometimes not found on boot. [Home; Abortion; winXP]

sponsored links

I recently switched mobos in a PC I built about a year ago. I replaced a PCChips M830 with a Soyo SY-KT400 DRAGON Ultra Platinum Edition. I kept everything else form the original set up including my Philips PSC-705 sound card. I had disabled the Soyo's onboard sound before installing the sound card and the Soyo audio drivers were never installed.

The first few days all was fine but now I have the intermittent problem of the sound card not been found on boot up. I have moved it to different slots and it still does it. It is fully seated in the slot and I tried it in a spare PC and it workd fine there. I can't find any IRQ conflicts and I have verified that the on board sound is still disabled. I have installed the latest drivers available and my board came with the most current BIOS. I have searched the Philips and Soyo sites and come up with nothing similar to my situation.

I am running my old ****og stereo through my sound card so I can rip my old vinyl to Mp3 and I have a 5.1 surround system hooked up to my PC. Even with the SPDIF adapter that came with the mobo I can't run this combo with the on board sound so I REALLY want to keep the PCS-705.

Anyone run into anything similar before ? I'm VERY happy with the Soyo board and the PCS-705 and when the card is recognized on boot performs flawlessly. I would really like to get them to "play nice".

Thanks.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 06:50 AM

Got really frustrated and swapped sound cards with my test mule PC again and this time my PSC-705 "disappeared" halfway through the new hardware installation on the other PC and wasn't recognized on the reboot. Looks like it's toast, I must have done something to it when I swapped mobos. I have a Creative Labs Audigy ZS Platinum on the way along with a different case.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 09:10 AM
Veteran

Try reinstalling the drivers, If you can connct your stereo through the onboard sound than do that. BTW, I like your new board
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:18 PM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mr Snatcher [/i]
[B]Try reinstalling the drivers, If you can connct your stereo through the onboard sound than do that. [/B]
I've reinstalled the drivers so many times they're worn out........ I've evidently cracked a trace on the board or something.

Quote:
[B]BTW, I like your new board [/B]
That's what I wanted the first time but my case didn't have room for the control panel that comes with it. I ordered a new case to go with it and decided I might as well step up a bit on the CPU. I'm going from a 1.4 Athlon Thunderbird to a 2.0Ghz AMD Athlon XP2400+ . The 1.4 goes into my wife's PC, the 1.3 Duron from it moves to the oldest son's to replace his 700 Duron and the 700 Duron makes the last "leftover" part I need to built a PC from cast off's and leftovers. Ought to be a real "beauty".