CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 06, 2002, 09:21 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

did you enable ICS on the host computer?
Old Oct 06, 2002, 11:25 PM
suspended

Do you have two NICs in the host computer? One going to the modem and the other going to the other computer via the crossover cable? I'm going to move this the Networking and Security forum for you now. Also obviously the host computer must be on for access on the other computer.
Old Oct 08, 2002, 10:29 AM

thanks. I have ICS enabled on the host computer, yes. I have an NIC in the host computer connected to the other computer, and my adsl modem is USB, so thats plugged into one of the usb ports. i'm still having no luck, although its now trying for a bit longer to connect, and when i tried to connect to google, it said Connecting to (IP Address) in the status bar rather than www.google.co.uk.
Old Oct 09, 2002, 10:12 AM

It's looking for the IP address of the NIC (the one used to network the 2 pc's) on your host computer, which is what it's supposed to do. I've never used ICS as I had read that it wasn't very good. So I don't know what or what it did not set up for you. On your client computer check :Interent Options/Connections/Lan Settings. The proxy server box should be ticked, with your IP(for the NIC on the host computer used to network the 2 PC's ) and port. Make sure they're the same IP address.
Old Oct 10, 2002, 09:47 AM

cheers, all sorted now. i'm using ****ogx and was up and running in 5 minutes,
Old Nov 04, 2002, 06:54 PM

I once connected 2 comps win95 and win98 and somehow using no proxy software got them to share a net connection , but i think it was a one off.

also if you are adding more computers or want not to have to turn both on to get access consider a router.