CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 23, 2002, 03:41 PM

Default I need help with my router Please everyone look in

sponsored links

I had a SMC barricade router connected to my computer and no one can download anything from me. This is bad cause I cannot complete my online file trades. I tried to unplug the router but my internet was disconnected

Does anyone know what I should do

I want people to be able to download from me
Old Jul 23, 2002, 04:42 PM
Veteran

I am not too familiar with SMC routers, but I think you need to forward a certain port to your computer.

For example, if you are running an FTP server, and you are using port 21 (default), you will need to go into your router's setup and forward port 21 to the computer running the server.

Even if it is a file-sharing program, you need to find out which port(s) it uses and forward them to your computer.

HTH
Old Jul 23, 2002, 10:09 PM
Veteran

Yup. That is exactly right. It is usually called port-forwarding or something similar. Makse sure you tell it to route traffic on that particular port to your PC, as orson88 said. Also, you need to give the public IP address out to people who you are trading with if you are running an FTP server. That would be the IP address on the WAN interface of the SMC barricade.

-Zack-
Old Nov 06, 2002, 03:24 PM

how do i forward the port to my computer

i am using the winmx program
Old Nov 06, 2002, 09:31 PM
Veteran

Look in your documentation. It is usually called port forwarding or something like that. Also, as an alternative, you could have the router make your PC a DMZ host. That gives your PC direct access. Just make sure to disable that when you are done. All of them are a bit different, but check your documentation. If you don't have any, I think SMC's website has the manuals online in .pdf format.

Good Luck!

Zack