CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 13, 2002, 06:52 PM

Default Home Network Problem

sponsored links

I have Win XP, in my pc, to wich i have a cable modem connected trough USB. I also have a PCI Lancard to share the internet connection with a labtop, also with XP, trough the home networking feature.
The problem is that is if by some reason i restart the pc, the labtop cant connect to the internet, until i restart it too. Anyone knows i can i fix this, because it´s incovinient to have to restart the lab top each time i restart the PC.

Thanks
Old Nov 16, 2002, 10:57 PM
Veteran

Basically whats happening is, your main computer is acting as a DHCP server, and assigning an IP address to your laptop. Its more than likely a private lan IP like 192.168.1.0, but never the less, it needs to be assigned that address.
What you need to do, is to figure out how to release and renew the ip on the laptop everytime you reboot. I dont personally use Winxp ...so im not too familiar with the ins and outs of the commands available when using the homenetworking setup.
A better suggestion of course is to install a proxy server program on the big comp.... and when you reboot, it will automatically reassign an IP to the lap.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 05:20 AM
Veteran

Two easy ways to fix this are:-

1) Once the main PC has rebooted, just unplug the network cable from the laptop and then re-connect it again. That should just act like the laptop has just been switched on so DHCP should assign an IP to the laptop again.

or

2) As you have only 2 PC's you could quite easily manually configure the laptop and desktop to use static IP's. This is really easy to do and will fix the DHCP problem.

As CapBlye said, DHCP needs configuring to fix the problem properly. Personally, I wouldn't bother with a proxy server as its overkill for a 2 PC network. The benefits you'd get from caching would be minimal and they often make p2p programs like Kazaa more difficult to setup.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 03:11 PM

Click on network connections, then highlight the connection and click on Repair.
OR
If it setup to show when connected (beside the clock) then right click on the icon and then click on Repair.