CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 98
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 07, 2003, 06:51 PM
Veteran

Default 2nd hard drive problem [; ; win98SE]

sponsored links

i've just installed a 2nd hard drive on my pc, when i booted it up for the 1st time with both hdds installed i went to "my computer" and it showed my original drive as c, my newly installed drive as d, my burner as e and my dvd rom drive as f. then i installed boot magic. when i re booted the pc it wouldn't boot from the new drive, it just hung on a screen saying"preparing ur machine to run win9x or msdos" so i restarted the pc and booted from my original drive and now the new drive doesn't show up in "my computer". although when booting it it finds both primary drives and both secondary drives and it shows up in device manager. i tried fdisk and all seemed to go well, but it still doesn't show up in my computer. i want to format it and reinstall windows, but how can i format it if it hasn't got a letter assigned to the drive?

thanx for reading and for any help u can offer

btw the pc is a p3 550 running win 98 se
Old Jan 08, 2003, 02:40 AM
Veteran

Hi burnout,

A lot of this may depend on how you have fdisk'd the drive but assuming you did so with a normal winme/9x bootdisk, you shouldn't need to worry about going into windows from there. After fdisking a drive it should be assigned a drive letter in fdisk, you can check it in option 4 I believe, but it won't show up in windows until it has been formatted. So back in DOS using you bootdisk and from the a: prompt try going to the drive and seeing if it is visible although there will be no data. It will probably be your d drive but maybe not. At the a: prompt just type format d: and press return assuming the hd is drive d. Make sure you don't format the already setup hd.

After that has finished, then reboot and the drive will be visible in windows fine.

HTH, T.