CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 28, 2003, 06:30 AM

Default What kind of Hard Drive to get with new Motherboard (ATA133 or USB)

sponsored links

I just purchased a new Motherboard/Processor, and in the next day or so, will be purchasing a new hard drive. My question, is should I get an Internal Hard drive (ATA133) or external hard drive using USB 2.0 or Firewire. Any upside/downside to going to external instead of internal. Seems the transfer rates of external USB 2.0 is much much faster than internal ATA133 drives. I will be using this for games mostly.

Thanks,
Ron
Old Oct 28, 2003, 08:21 AM
Veteran

Externals are more expensive, I have no clue how your going to load windows on an external hard from the start, cause usb 2.0 requires drivers and Service Pack 1, but if there is way to do it, great someone let me know. If you want the quickest, then I believe the western digital 10,000rpm sata drive is your choice, or you can buy an internal drive and make it an external.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 09:50 AM
Veteran

USB drives still have a ATA drive inside the enclosure. Therefore they can't be any faster.

XP asks for raid drivers during XP install so you should be able to install to a USB drive, asuming both the drive & m/b support booting from usb of course.

If you want fast then get a pair of the WD 10,000rpm drives (Raptor). They are only 36Gb each but if you RAID 0 (striping) them...
If your m/b doesn't support sata raid then you will need a pci raid card.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 12:15 PM
Veteran

transfer speeds of usb 2 may well be far higher...ur right...but as someone pointed out, the actual drive wont work at that speed

unless u need an external cus u wanna portable drive, then i dont see any point in it. Even if sum1 isnt confident in opening their pc, fitting a hard disk isnt exactly hard. Externals are far more expensive....with no benefit over internal ones

jus get a nice big 120 (or more) GB 7200RPM hard disk....itll be more than fast enough just for games...i doubt ud notice too much difference if u went for the 10,000RPM drives...not enought to justify the extra cost anyway
Old Oct 28, 2003, 02:22 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

The 10 000 rpm drives are only faster in RAID configuration. In single installations, they are no faster, and in some cases slower.

And we won't even discuss how loud, whiny and expensive they are.
Old Oct 28, 2003, 03:08 PM
Veteran

72GB Western Digital Raptor SATA 10,000 RPM hard drives are out. And they are faster in a single installations because of their low seek times and tagged queuing (which is common in SCSI drives). But optimal performance will be achived in a RAID enviroment.