CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 05, 2003, 12:47 AM
Veteran

Default DVD+R(W) disc problems

sponsored links

Hi guys,

I recently bought an Akai DV-P3750 DVD player. Its a great player, plays all the formats I wanted it to, including VBR MP3. Its not fussy at all with media, and plays anything I throw at it. Overall, it was about the best thing I could get for my money. Problem is, someone wants to sell an HPDVD200i to me. I dont have the writer yet, but he gave me a sample DVD+R disc, and s DVD+RW disc to try out in my player. Unfortunately, the movies dont play in my Akai. When I insert the disc, it picks up the discs as a "DVD Video" disc, but does'nt start the movie. I tried the same discs in my friends Pioneer 355 Player, and they work like a charm. No problems at all. Could it be that my player does'nt read DVD+R(W) discs at all, or is it possible that they were recorded in way that my player does'nt like. Could it be a media issue? The part thats giving me faith in my player is that it does recognise the disc as a DVD Video disc...it says so on the screen, and the "DVD" indicator on my player's display lights up. The movies just dont start. Another friend's Sansui DVD Player does the same thing as mine. The movies just dont start.

Do any of you guys own a player like mine. Do you know if it reads the + discs. I dont want to spend a huge sum of money on the HP DVD writer if my player does'nt like + discs.

Any advice for me?

Thanks
Derrick
Old May 05, 2003, 02:04 AM
Veteran

How much is he selling the 200i for? Also what brand was the DVD+R media? That's funny that the Pioneer plays them without a hitch and the others don't though as the Pioneer is the biggest backer of the DVD-R/-RW formats.
Old May 05, 2003, 02:54 AM

I have the HP writer your using,and had no problems so far with any dvd player.Been using Traxdata dvd+r, got them fom SVP 41 delivered for 25
Old May 05, 2003, 03:13 AM
Veteran

Thanks for the replies guys. I live in South Africa, so the currency I mention may not mean anything to you guys ;-)

The HPDVD200i sells for around R3500 here, but I can get a used unit from someone for a third that price. Thing is, I dont want to buy the recorder if my standalone player is not compatible with +R(W) discs.If I buy the drive, there's no turning back, I can't return it. So, I need to be sure the player will read the +R(W) discs. Like I said, the movie does'nt play, but it recognises the disc as being a DVD Video disc.

What would happen if you inserted a disc that you player could'nt read? Would it recognise the disc as being DVD Video in the first place? Or could it be player does'nt like the menu structure on the disc or possibly the media.

Nobody out there with an Akai DV-P3750?

Derrick
Old May 05, 2003, 04:12 AM
Veteran

The player number you have quoted doesn't seem to exist.
There is a DV-3750, but it is only listed ona few Japanese sites, so unless you can speak Japanes, not much use to you.

Akai do have a South African base though, it might be worth giving them a call :

South Africa
HI-FI Corporation
Stand No.,49-21, Airshire Rd., LongMeadow Business Estate, MODDERFONTEIN,
Mail to: P.O. Box 1544, Bramley 2018, Johanesburg,
South Africa
Tel. (011) 372-7300
Fax. (011) 372-7388
Tel. (011) 372-7300
Fax. (011) 372-7388

From what you say though, it would sound as though it doesn't read DVD+R's.
Old May 05, 2003, 06:54 AM
Veteran

Thanks for advice. I called Hi-Fi Corp and they dont seem to know what I'm talking about. They were'nt much help at all. So, I called the store and asked if I could return the unit, and buy something else that would read the discs. Unfortunately, the manager was not willing to do that, and I'm stuck with this player.

Oh well, you win some you lose some.

Thanks for the help...
Derrick