CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 02, 2005, 02:26 AM
Default Laser Protect Chip

sponsored links

I saw on a couple sites , that with a chip you can get a "laser protect chip" or something like that , do these actually work?

I've personally had VERY bad issues (as well my friend) with modchips and lasers
Old May 02, 2005, 03:28 AM

I have heard of these "Laser Protect Chips". I'm not sure if they do exactly as you say they do, but they do protect the Slimline PS2 in some way. Someone else will be able to answer your question.

I suggest you try:

They have some information on this topic.

Old May 03, 2005, 11:12 AM

hi these are supposed to intergrate a comsoft type hex into their bios. Even if you use this chip you would still need to install the summone to protect your tracking and focus coils.

for all your U.K premod, chip, and fitting needs. Full postal service. 3 month warranty on all our sales.
Old May 12, 2005, 06:14 AM

I was under the impression that with the Comsoft v3/4 fix, no resistirs are needed as when the mechacon locks up, the power is cut to the laser coils completely, thus no need for resistor limiting in the first place.
Old May 12, 2005, 08:10 AM

There is some lever of truth to that flyingscotsman,

But if the PS2 crashes, there has been times when the chip failed to reset the console, thus blowing the laser.

Thats why the resistors are there, no matter what they will stop the level of current from hitting the laser and frying it.

To me the summ0ne fix is better than the comsoft fix.

Old May 12, 2005, 11:29 AM

would have to agree. To date ourselves and game world have had nigh on 100% sucess rate with the matrix pic and summone fix (approx 250 consoles). To date the slimfix is proving effective at around 96% effective (tested on 55 consoles to date). The combination of the pic and summone is a little more labour intensive, but then with consoles at 100 a throw it is well worth it.

For all your pre chipped consoles, chips and fitting needs in the U.k. Full postal service, 3 month warranty on all sales.