CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 22, 2002, 07:58 AM

Default DVD problem and thoughts..

sponsored links

Hi guys. First a big thanks goes out to all of you that help day in and day out with people and their problems. I have been reading these boards everyday.

Here goes.

I originally purchased my A03 to do ps2 dvd games and those pretty much go off without a hitch.(provided I use decent media) I then wandered into the movie scene which brought me to these forums. I can do a movie now without even loading up a saved copy of the dvd2-dvd-r instructions.(Practice makes perfect)

Some of my movies, probably about 60 percent, skip and tear about 70-90 percent of the way through the movie. More than half of the movie will be perfect, then the end just goes to hell. Sometimes I will reburn them and its ok, other times, same thing. At first I thought it was the media I was using. I was used to buying a little better media for PS2 (apple) and only had about 5 of those left laying around. I purchased generics for movies figuring those would be ok.

Seems to be hit or miss (a lot of missing) with these generics. If in fact that is my skipping problem. But then sometimes I can re-burn the image onto another generic and it works. I have even had the skipping problem on the Apple media, albeit not as much.

Now I know many of you are thinking to yourself, buy better media you cheap ****. And I agree. Almost.

For doing PS2 (50.00 titles) or even some adult titles (20.00-50.00)(if you're into that) the cost can be justified. I know if you're like me, you have a considerable amount of time/energy/money invested in this dvd stuff.

I guess I am coming to the point to where if I have to spend 5.00 on a blank, I purchase the blank dvd case, and I print the dvd cover on photo paper plus ink costs, it seems to me that MOST movies are not worth doing at all considering the fact that you can purchase a great deal of them for 10.00-20.00. Not to mention the HOURS that our spare PC's are spent crunching.

Does anyone else feel this way? I guess if I knew without a doubt that every single copy I did was going to be perfect, it would be a little more justafiable.

Mal
Old Mar 22, 2002, 01:01 PM

Malachi, understand where you are coming from.
BUT......
Anyone who has been in this game from somewhere near the beginning of CDRs, will remember spending around 90 for their first 10pack of blanks, turning 8 of them into coasters and wondering whether or not to call it a day or not.
Stick with it dude, DVD burning is moving WAY quicker than the CDR market did back then, prices are dropping quickly and DVD players are improving still.
The way I see it, not so long ago you could sell an unwatchable pirate movie on VHS for a tenner and get away with it...... we have come a long way in a short time.
I'm new to DVD-R, frustrating as it is, things are improving.
As for price of media, I am finding Princo excellent for PS2 and movies, and at 1.99 including a DVD case I cannot argue, www.blankdiscshop.co.uk
Old Mar 22, 2002, 01:14 PM
Veteran

I REMEMBER THE COSTLY cd-r DAYS AND THATS WHY I'M STICKING WITH IT

It is disheartening and in many cases more expensive than buying the orig, but costs will fall, technology will improve and we will continue to ***** when we get a 4 coaster. Thems the breaks.