CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 24, 2004, 11:36 AM

Default Having problems getting Segagen working?

sponsored links

OKAY!!! Well I had given up on getting Segagen working on my DC some 3 mos ago... what a time I had of it... wasted some 25 CD-R's trying all sorts of different methods, following every readme and walkthru I could find, trying the Lemec patch and Treyjazz patched versions along with the original... nothign would work. The Lemec and Trejazz would just keep resetting, and I never did figure out how to get them working either as selfboot or with a boot disc. I have tried using CD record, CDRWIN, Alchohol and Nero. Just can't get them working.

HOWEVER... today, on a whim, I decided to go back and try something different... something I was actually 99% sure I had already tried before.... but I guess I hadn't, because this time it worked perfectly!!

I have only gotten this to work with the original, selfboot Obsidian or Echelon release of Segagen. This is the one that everyone has problems with, that when you try to load it up the menu doesn't work you just get a blue screen with some words at the top.

So here's what I used and what you need if you want to follow what I did:
- Original Obsidian/Echelon Segagen files, NOT the Treyjazz or Lemec patched versions
- Selfboot, this is a program that should still be easy to get
- Alchohol 120%

Well... all the times I had tried burning it, patched or original, I was following the insanely long walkthrus that had you using CD Record to burn the first part of the disc (the audio) and finding the offset and all that crap... then burning the second session in some other burning program... time consuming and annoying, and best of all it NEVER WORKED.

So I decided to try just letting Selfboot do it for me. Basically... just unzip the original Segagen emu files into a folder called /cd_root... doesn't matter where you have that folder. Put all your roms into the /cd_root/roms folder, make sure they are .bins of course. Also, highlight all the files in the roms folder (or click edit->select all) and right click, click properties, and make sure that "Read Only" is NOT checked. Then go back out to the main /cd_root file and do the same thing. If "read only" is checked for ANY of those files selfboot may not work. Also, I seem to have had good luck if I delete the selfboot.ini file before starting the program up... dont have any idea why. Anyways... go ahead and open selfboot. When selfboot asks if you want to configure for CD Record click NO. Then on the next window navigate to and highlight your /cd_root folder. On the next window, click on the top line and highlight "discjuggler/nero burning rom" then on that same window click on the Discjuggler button under "create disc juggler image". Let it do it's thing and when it's done you'll have a file "cd_root.cdi". Now just open alchohol 120%, click on image burning wizard, navigate to cd_root.cdi and burn it!

Worked PERFECTLY for me! FINALLY... now my full menu's show up and the emu runs perfect! Well.. I hope this helps someone out there... I spent weeks looking for the solution to getting Segagen working and man allllll those CD's wasted... and finally I can enjoy it.... I wanted to post this and make sure that anyone else who wants to can do so as well. Good luck and have fun reliving those memories!
Old Feb 26, 2004, 02:01 AM

Now if only some hacker out there would crack Segagen open and somehow fix the sound engine.... YECK! Some games sound really really bad.
Old Feb 26, 2004, 05:09 AM

Default Re: Having problems getting Segagen working?

Do you know if you can save with segagen?
Old Feb 26, 2004, 09:50 PM

good luck copying roms from that cd back to your pc. bin2boot does that.