CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 10, 2002, 12:16 AM

Talking Networking tips: connect to yours/other computers!!!

sponsored links

Here is what i discovered!!!!!!!!!

okay, if you can shared your internet connection and everything but you can't share your file or printer then you can run the network wizard on both computers.....

but for like windows xp and windows 2000 is not compatiable with the network wizard, you can't use the windows xp network wizard on windows 2000......

so the only ways is for you to find the name of both of your PC.

to find the name of your computer in winxp, right click my computer, click on the computer name tab, and it will show your computer full name....

for win2000, right click on my computer, click on the network identification tab, and copy your full computer name.......

now, both of windows 2000 and winxp has the option for you to search for computers on the network.

to do that, first you will need to go to start, search, for files or folders.

In the search option for winxp, choose computer and people

In the search option for win2000, under the search for others item, just choose computers....

now, put the computer name in the search box that you want to connect to, and hit search....

it will pop up that computer...

now double click on it or make a desktop shortcut to it...

to shared file, folder printer or so, just right click on a folder or printer and go to the sharing tab..... and choose share.......

------------------------------------------------------------------

anyways, by doing the searching for other people computers file like your friend computers, you can also access other people computer file like your sister computers.......

for example, the first time i try this, i accidently connected to other people computer on the internet, i have open there file too, and then i try to delete their file and guess what, it deleted it too... but lucky me that it's jut a regular notepad file.......

anyways, if you want to connect to your friend computer using this method, then ask them what is their computer name or ip address, then search for that............. double click on their computer when you found it... anyways, when accessing other people file over the internet using this method, it will be very slow...... so you have to wait...

but if they are using a firewall software or a router, then you can't search for their computer even if you know their computer name or ip address... the result will not pop up........

anyways, to see if you can connect to thier computers or not, then go to start, go to run, and type in:
ping <ip address or computer name>

for example: ping 12.123.127.23 or ping cdromgothackworkgroupz

if it say request time out, then that's mean the other person must have a firewall, offline, or using a router or somethings...

lol

anyways, when connecting to your friend computer, tell them to turn off their firewall programs.... and tell them to disable the user can change my file in the sharing option, becuz if that option is check, then you can delete their files, and it won't gonna go to your's or their recycle bin, but it's going to a store trash can......... lol

anyways, if you want to use this method to share file with a friend or so, then don't use it, becuz it's super slow........ Unless you and your friends computer are connected together using an ethernet cable/router or so.......

Last edited by fackyah; Nov 11, 2002 at 06:35 PM.
Old Nov 10, 2002, 10:03 AM
Veteran

ummm obvious!
Old Nov 11, 2002, 06:07 PM

Where have you been hibernating.