CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 2000
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 18, 2003, 05:11 PM
Veteran

Unhappy Big Problems (experts only) [; ; win2KPro]

sponsored links

A couple months ago, I got a new HDD and installed Win 2K Pro and within a few days, had all my software and hardware installed and setup properly. Then the problems started and have continued ever since. Either it is software related or it is hardware related and just a big coincidence.

(1) System Lockups - This happens a few times day ... anywhere from 2 times to a dozen times per day. It seems to happen more often when I am actively using the PC, but at times it happens when I just have Flash FXP running while I sleep (and I wake up to a locked system). Caps lock stops working at this point; num lock works. A soft reboot works but it often locks up again right away after the reboot ... sometimes it doesn't.

RAM has been tested extensively and all tests show no problems. My CPU is quite old, but I don't imagine it is an overheating problem as the problems have occured when the CPU is at 78 degrees F as well as 102 degrees F and everything in between. I also have a slot 1 adapter which I considered, but I really don't know how to test that other than to throw another one in there (which I don't posess). I also considered this piece of crap ATI AIW 32mb Radeon vid card as that cause me major problems when I first got it. However, this time I had followed the driver install instructions from vcdhelp.com and all [b]seemed[/b] to go ok.

(2) Disk Cleanup - It simply doesn't work. I click it, the progress bar hits the initial step, and then it sticks and refuses to move again - and it doesn't matter which of my hard drives I try it on.

(3) Defrag & Scandisk - On drive C (old HDD), these processes have not completed successfully in some time. They get stuck and don't move again. On Drive D/E (same drive 10gb/100gb partition split respectively) ... D (10gb) completes fine. Trying to run the processes on E (100gb) locks the system over and over so I have to restart the system and process continuously just so I can finish.

(4) Video - Trying to run a video of any format in Windows Media Player locks up the system about 75% of the time. Format doesn't matter - VCD, SVCD, DivX, AVI, and VOB files all produce the same result. Whether it is the only proggie running or there are 10 others running makes no difference in the percentage of times it crashes vs playing ok. Playing audio files btw in Win Explorer (preview bar) works perfectly.

(5) Reboots on its own - This rarely happens but it does happen - maybe 1x per 1-2 weeks. Annoying and it bugs me b/c it should [i]never[/i] happen.

Finally, one more unrelated issue ... my CD/DVD titles don't update in My Computer after I switch discs. No matter how many times I refresh, they never update. Only a system reboot updates the drive to display any inserted disc after the first one.

well, kudos to you if you can figure this out b/c I am at a loss atm. My best guess is something to do with those damn vid card drivers but I don't really know. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

Last edited by 420; Feb 18, 2003 at 05:15 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 06:59 PM

Just make sure you have the latest bios for mobo, latest video drivers and latest mobo ide/agp drivers.
If it still doesn't work correctly it probably never will on your combination.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:23 PM
Veteran

Well I don't know if you consider me a expert, but I'll try to help....

The casue of your CDROM titiles not updating in My Computer would be
prabally becasue of DMA being enabled, turn it off and see if it is any better.

Your casue might be due to and over heatng issue. 78 & 102 degrees is sure very hot for a cpu....Is your case well ventelated?
Enable S.M.A.R.T. from your bios and check your HD temperatre. Also check your power supply voltages, how powerfull is your powersupply?
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:33 PM
Veteran

Sounds like your hd has some surface errors to me or its completely ****ed.

Do a thorough scan disk but leave it alone till it finishes I had one take 17 hours once.

i agree with ps2 your processor is getting a bit to hot if your not overclocking there is definately something wrong if you are trty overclocking a little less.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 02:28 AM
Veteran

thanks for the responses ... let's see if I can help the process along. hehe

Quote:
[i]zedy wrote:[/i]
Just make sure you have the latest bios for mobo, latest video drivers and latest mobo ide/agp drivers.
If it still doesn't work correctly it probably never will on your combination.
BIOS was flashed right after the new HDD, drivers are all up to date. As for things never working ... well, it worked for years so only possible that hardware is faulty, not incompatible.

Quote:
[i]ps2wiz01 wrote:[/i]
CDROM titiles not updating in My Computer would be prabally becasue of DMA being enabled ...
DMA is enabled for the HDDs, and PIO mode for the burners. If this has something to do with them not updating, I may have to live with it as performace-wise, they are doing great. No S.M.A.R.T. option on the BIOS. CPU temps are running hotter than they used to. 74-78 degrees is what it ran at for years ... only starting running above 100 since last year. The case is not a well-ventilated one but has never caused me probs. Again though, the CPU's age may be taking its toll. The power supply is 235 watts I think ... quite underpowered by today's standards, but enough to run the components I've got. Also, even after pulling a drive this week to send our for a repair/replace, no change in my lockup prob.

Quote:
[i]uk_trader wrote:[/i]
Sounds like your hd has some surface errors to me or its completely ****ed.
For the C drive (the old drive), I would tend to agree with you as scan/defrag just won't seem to complete no matter how long I leave them. the D/E drive (new 120gb WD), which is my OS' HDD, isn't likely damaged as the scan/defrag will run but the PC locks up during. I guess that could be another sign of the CPU (or the CPU adapter) becoming overheated as the scan/defrag use some heavy CPU power.

OK, so it seems from here that my next step should be to pick up a new CPU (which I was doing soon anyway) ... unless there are any other realistic possibilities? Thanks to all for the responses.