CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 95
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 11, 2002, 03:33 PM

Question Need HELP w/ CD-ROM error meesage - d:\ is not accessible. Device is not ready. [; ; win95a]

sponsored links

Need HELP w/ CD-ROM error message - d:\ is not accessible. Device is not ready. Can't get the D:\ to read anything at all. It worked fine the day before. I had recently installed about 4 kid games for my daughter on my computer. They worked fine and she played them w/o any hassles. Now, the very next day, when we insert anything into the computer, it gives us the error message above. The power light goes on when you insert the CD, then it spins, but that's all. Tried to run the CD and it just keeps giving the same message. We tried several different CDs, and they all have the same problem. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to correct this problem and get it to work? Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 04:02 PM

Make sure data laed is plugged in properly to CD Rom and Mainboard. Check Bios settings or Delete it from the windows hardware list and see if it works when it installs itself again.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 06:25 PM

where do I check the Bios settings and where do I go step by step from there? Please help. Thanks.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 07:25 PM
suspended

aledesma, before you play with the BIOS, which we don't want to at this point since you've not messed with it anyway, try cleaning the laser lens with a lens cleaning CD. You can get one from most audio stores.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 04:56 AM
Veteran

Van
I had the same problem with a customers PC few weeks ago, installed some games from CD (retail kids games, not sure which one), and the next day, both DVD and CDRW are listed, but cant access either, this is on XP.

I wonder if theres some DLL libraries these games maker is using that conflicts with the OS or changes the registry. After spending almost a day crawling the registry and makeing/restore Ghost to test, I finally gave up, and installed a fresh copy of XP over the old one, then both the DVD and CDRW came back just like magic.

Sorry Ale, this may not be the answer you are looking for, but this is what I had to do to 'fix' the problem

Reading Harry's website, he had an article, read that Nero, if not uninstalled correctly, will give the same type of problem, but only under XP, so I really do think its the games that must have changed or corrupted something during their installation, just cant point a finger to it.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 09:45 AM
suspended

Very interesting info, duffy m8. Thanks.