CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 95
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 19, 2003, 12:11 PM

Default XP cant read Win95 diskette?

sponsored links

When a diskette is written by my Win95 PC, I cannot read it with my XP computer? What need I do? If i switch something, is it permanent? Kinda wierd, you'd think XP would be backward compatable?
Old Sep 19, 2003, 12:13 PM

does it give any kind of error message like "the disk is not formatted" or anything else when you try to read it?
Old Sep 19, 2003, 01:20 PM
Veteran

There is no such problem with Windows XP reading floppy disks written under Windows 95, or any other Windows for that matter. It is more likely that the floppy drive you are using under the Windows 95 machine is not writting to the disk properly and may have a physical problem. As UAPyro has asked, could you provide us with more info as to what exactly is going wrong? It may also be the floppy disk, have you tried using a different disk? Try formatting it under the XP machine and write to it on the 95 machine and then see if it can be read again under XP.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 04:20 PM
Veteran

Quote:
There is no such problem with Windows XP reading floppy disks written under Windows 95
Actually, there is. I've read dozens of posts about this very problem with XP not reading floppies created on a different Windows OS, but no has yet go give a definitive answer as to why this is happening. And there doesn't seem to ba a common thread either. Some systems have zero problems, some just can't read them at all. I've been scouring Technet for an answer but haven't come up with any. If I do find something, I'll post back

Last edited by Roger The Shrubber; Sep 19, 2003 at 05:27 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 05:03 PM
Veteran

Well personally I have never had a problem with it and I have never seen another post about it, however I am willing to admit I'm wrong if that's true.
Old Sep 19, 2003, 05:30 PM
Veteran

I haven't seen any posts here but on other help Forums. It's against the rules to post links to other forums here so I won't but if your interested you can do a Google and find a few hits about this issue. Technet is no help on this either, I wonder if it's a permissions issue.