CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 2000
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 23, 2003, 09:53 PM

Default cable router woes [Linksys 4 switch; BEFSR41; win2KPro]

sponsored links

Hey hows it going?

I recently picked up a cable router, like just the other day.

When I go to install the CD it runs a lil test on my connection, to determine if I'm actually able to access the internet, which I am obviosly, but it says im not.

Adelpia is my broadband ISP, I contacted them to see if there was anything they had to do on the end, and they told me natta.

So I purused throught the Linksys website to no avail, I made sure my network settings were set to 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and thats really all that seems they the manual and Linksys say that could be wrong, but I know that cant be the end of it.

I've also tried resetting the modem and router, still no luck, so if any of you fellows have any pointers I'd be glad to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Moe
Old Nov 24, 2003, 02:13 AM
Veteran

ok, if you open up IE and type in '********192.1.168.1.1' and then put in admin as the password - username leave blank. then go into 'status' and click on 'dhcp release' and then click on 'dhcp renew'. click on apply and save settings etc. then restart your modem, and then restart the pc.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 06:17 AM

I had something similar, but it might just have been me ... from memory I think you had to run the cd without the router connected, it would then find your connection then connect up the router. Can't help you anymore than that as my son blagged it for his bb connection to share with my daughter.

nal
Old Nov 24, 2003, 08:07 PM
Veteran

So you have the cable modem connected to the WAN port and your computer connected to one of the other ports?
Old Nov 24, 2003, 11:20 PM

To do install the setup disc i was instructed to just use my existing internet, that being me directed connected to the cable modem, but since that didnt work, i kept reseeting my modem and router and it finally psynced up, and thanks to ellal for the site to configure everything.

Thanks again,

Moe
Old Nov 06, 2008, 05:44 PM

Do I understand this correctly . The message is you have 'no' connection & yet indeed you do have a connection.
Did the instructions [B]ellal[/B] work? Curious because I love to tinker with these things, but I'm just a 'geek in training' at this point.
I've had the suggestion from a few people that one good way to learn about routers & switches is to invest in a <a href="********ciscokits.com/">ccna</a> certification training kit.
Any thoughts ?
Cheers. Thanks. Will