CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows 2000
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 04, 2006, 10:06 AM

Default clash between xp and win 2000 prof

sponsored links

Hello all,
My system is running on windows xp prof, today i installed win 2000 prof in other drive, windows 2000 installtion was done successfully, but when i try to go into winxp its throwing me an error saying that a file is missing.......

is there any solution for this

thanks
Old Aug 12, 2006, 05:03 PM
Veteran

Beats me why you should want to add 2000, as XP and 2000 are basically the same systems, bar for XP being the better of the two.

Try getting into XP in safe mode if you can and do a restore to a date before you installed 2000.

colin.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 08:32 PM

Smile

afaik, you should [B][U]only[/U][/B] install os's in the order they are released if you are dual booting, so it being fairly obvious what you have done here, (installed in the wrong order) which is why you have messed up your xp, so any attempt to fix your xp, will indeed kill your windows 2000, i do believe though that you can fix it using the /fixmbr command but do not do this if you havent saved your stuff from your 2k install.

i'm in favour of saving 2k myself though as i still run it and love it, and if you like it that much you could just go back to that, after all theres not much difference, xp is pretty, fast booting, but also has more exploits than 2k has ever had, ok 2k may not been officialy supported anymore, but who cares when its rarely been in any headlines and still has 50% business market share, if you do put 2k back on just make sure you have SP4 and RU1 and your good to go.