CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jul 14, 2002, 01:31 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Handy...please notice I never said anything about downloading games... also, the law you are quoting is quite correct!!! Please stop quoting laws for COMPUTER SOFTWARE, they are very different. Also, the ISDA does not quote the laws, it quotes THEIR interpretation.

Mod chips are not illegal however a court may find they help facilitate the breaking of copyright laws. As far as I know, no court has ever found such. I never said the SALE of counterfeit games was legal. Counterfeit means it is being passe off as an original...

ash =o)
Old Jul 15, 2002, 05:23 AM
Veteran

I don't think handyguy is disputing what you've said there... only telling the group here what is going on and to stay away from such things. (Although if you follow hanyguy's postion here in the post he has said not to sell backups and the article confirms that.) I for one was not aware of the sharing game issue but it does make sence, afterall if one owns the game why can't he or she share it with others? Thanks for the input everyone it is very interesting and has sorted out alot of questions I've had. Enjoy......

Last edited by CousinFizz; Jul 15, 2002 at 05:09 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2002, 10:45 AM
Veteran

Huh? Says clear as the sky is blue that they represent the video game industry:
(What is the IDSA?
Formed in April 1994, the Interactive Digital Software Association (IDSA) is the U.S. trade association exclusively dedicated to serving the business and public affairs needs of companies that publish video and computer games for video game consoles (such as Nintendo 64, Sega Saturn, and PlayStation),

That is a direct quote from their page, I didn't write it ashVID. If you disagree with their laws take it up with them not me.
Old Jul 16, 2002, 12:48 PM
Veteran

Sorry Handy I did not mean to offend =o) Your last sentence is the KEY... "their laws" They are posting their interpretation of the law based on the fact that THEY are claiming video games fall under the same protection as software. The courts do not recognize this. If you read everything clearly you can see where they make inferences and try to quote it as law. If eBay and Yahoo stood up to Sony about selling modded units, they would win but it is not worth the hassle. Same is true of most sites selling modchips that close. The video game companies are lobbying to change the laws but as of now, video games fall under the same category of music other entertainment media.

ash =o)
Old Aug 08, 2002, 02:13 AM
Veteran

You're acting wrong. Backup are infact intellecual property. Sony and N64 at one point stated in a magazine "we are protecting our intellecual property against privacy" If you are backuping thier game and selling to other people, that is intially sealing thier intellectuall property. Videogame backup is consider pretty much a software, the console being the hardware. Not nessarry having to install the software, the hardware plays the software straight from the console. If if someone created something, just to have someone else with no effort to copy it and distrube it, then that's privacy my friend.

BTW, i read in a PSM (playstation magazin) that the law changes and it's now illegal in some part of the usa to get the system chip, even for backup or not. That's why messiah company was shut down right before they were gonna lauch thier chip, but still messiah clone kept coming out.

I came to a conclusion that: You must own the original to make up a backup of it for your own personal use. You have no right to sell the backup to anyone else or lend that backup to anyone, because they "did not" purchases the original. If they want backup they have to make thier own backup.

People now aday don't really care, as long as they can get stuff to thier advange, then it's perfectly fine for them. Our morals arn't as high as they use to be, we are temp by our own desire, and our position in life may not be fitting to fullfil those desire in life.

Last edited by DR69ON; Aug 08, 2002 at 02:16 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2002, 02:35 AM
Veteran

Also a while back, someone said something about screw ms because they creat window so you can burn backup. That was totally wrong, thier intention is different from yours. Sony makes burner, thier intention for you was to use it in a legal manner, say backup file or put your own music on to cd. It's your intention to make illegal copy, so you have no right to blame sony for supplying you the software/hardware.
My point is, if marajuana was suppose to help people ease the pain, someone's else intention was jsut to get high. Do you think people that make guns thier intention was for you to rob a store? That was your own intention. Blame yourself.