CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 15, 2004, 02:56 PM
Veteran

Default Trying to connect my laptop to my pc using wireless adapters!! HELP!!!

sponsored links

I am trying to connect my laptop to my pc via wireless network adapters, but am having no joy!! Anyone got any links or advice?? Specs & setup below.

Laptop IBM Thinkpad 760el running windows 98 using a wireless pcmcia network card

PC running xp using a wireless pcmcia card in a pci cradle, connects to the internet via nic & adsl router (wired)

I am trying to set it up so that the laptop can connect to the internet via the pc, but cant seem to get the 2 to talk to each other!!!
I also have 2 other pcs connected to the main pc via the adsl router, one running XP & the other running ME. Would it be better to try and connect the laptop to the one running ME???

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old Feb 16, 2004, 11:52 AM

ok first of all, is the router wireless? You say the pcs are wired to the router, but wireless routers have ethernet port connections too. If it is not, get a wireless router to replace your current problems. This will solve all your problems and do what you want it to do. The pcs that are wired dont need anything else becuase as i said, you can connect the ethernet cables directly to the router just like your current one.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:45 AM
Veteran

no the router isn't wireless!! as i only need the laptop connected wirelessly, i thought it would be a bit of an uneccessary waste of money, especially as i have the 2 wireless adapters needed.
can anyone help!!!
Old Feb 19, 2004, 04:10 PM

you would need to get an access point then and connect it to your router, but its goign to be almost the same price.
Old Feb 19, 2004, 07:10 PM
Veteran

why do i need an access point???
i thought you could set up the 2 wireless adapters in ad hoc mode, so they would communicate with each other!!
Old Feb 19, 2004, 10:46 PM

ok so you already have 2 wireless nics then and you have 2 nics total in that machine. you will have to set up ics on the lan connection that is wired and then use it as the gateway for the laptop.