CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:50 AM

Default DVD writing image slow

sponsored links

My problem is my DVD burner all of a sudden started writing image files slow. I use nero when it starts writing the image it starts at around 5,000kb/s then it ramps up to about 11,000kb/s by the end. It is a 16x burner and previously there wasn't a problem. I thought the burner might be bad so I went and bought a 18x external but it has the same problem. I have a AMD 64bit atholon processor, 3 internal hard drives a raptor 10,000rpm for my OS. I have 2 gigs of ram, 2 internal burners one external burner and a 750gb external hardrive. I have a usb card installed a ok video card and ethernet card. The case has about 4 fans. I am trying to narrow down the issues here. Could the power supply be to small? I'm not sure what size it is but could that cause this issue? Could the mother board be going bad? Anyone have this problem before?
Old Aug 17, 2007, 06:40 PM
Veteran

Location: Sydney, Australia. Where else would you want to live?

It could be a lot of things, or it could be nothing.

If your burner starts at 5 000 kb/s, then goes up to 11 000kb/s, then there is nothing wrong.

16x burners don't write at 16 000, if that's what you're thinking.

1x = 1 350 kb/s, but a drive only reaches anywhere near full speed towards the end of the disc.

It burns from the centre outwards in spirals, so that's why it gradually speeds up.

It is very rare, if ever, for a drive to reach it's maximum.

It runs out of disc before that happens, which is exactly what you describe.

Anyway, [i]if[/i] you're still concerned, first thing to check is that DMA is enabled for all your drives (CD/DVD and hard drives).

You don't mention the operating system, so I'm assuming it's XP?

Go to Start, Run and type in devmgmt.msc then OK.

Double click the Primary and Secondary Controllers (or whatever your setup is), then Advanced tab.

Make sure DMA is selected and not PIO mode.

I'm also assuming you have plenty of free hard drive space, going by your specs?

BTW, you really shouldn't be burning things at full speed anyway.

Last edited by Insomniac; Aug 17, 2007 at 06:42 PM.
Closed Thread