CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Operating System Forums > Windows ME
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 23, 2003, 11:59 PM

Question System Control Software...Suggestions? [N/A; N/A; winME]

sponsored links

Hello. Here's my dilemmah:

My nephew has a habit of installing software onto my computer that I do not wish to have installed onto my system. Even after repeatidly telling him not to, he continues to do it anyway. Here's my question:

Is there a program out there that prevents unauthorized installation of software programs onto my computer? I know they hae it for networking computers, but how about a non-networked computer for home? I' have a P4 (Celeron) running Windows ME. If you could please post the name of any programs that do I mentioned, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Ryan
:beer:
Old Feb 24, 2003, 12:47 AM

i think this can be accomplished in windows 2000, and i know in xp, by setting up user accounts, certain ones can only use the net, make files, etc, but not install software

besides that, im not sure of a program right away
Old Feb 24, 2003, 05:46 AM

Hi there,

Maybe this one will work for you.

Core Control
"Controls user access to your Windows Operating System
Secures Windows User Profiles via it's own User Profile Admin interface
Disables/enables many of Windows options/settings and dialog boxes on a Per User basis
Prevents users from installing software
Disables/enables Control/Alt/Delete and the Windows Taskbar
Controls access to the Internet on a per user basis
Disables/enables use of third party programs
Contains a single Administrator account
The Administrator has full control over users of the computer
Core Control is secured by a password protected Graphical User Interface
Offers over 115 individual restrictions/settings
Hundreds of possible "Combo Tweaks" that can be created"
********home.pacbell.net/tallean/Core_Control.htm
Old Feb 24, 2003, 06:51 PM

Hey Thanks. I'll give it a look at. I didn't see price on it. Is it freeware? That would be great, but I'm more than willing to pay for it, if it works. Thanks again!

Ryan
Old Feb 25, 2003, 05:15 AM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by rwoerth [/i]
[B]Hey Thanks. I'll give it a look at. I didn't see price on it. Is it freeware? That would be great, but I'm more than willing to pay for it, if it works. Thanks again!

Ryan [/B]
As far as I know it's freeware.
Old Mar 02, 2003, 12:52 PM

Well, I downloaded and installed the program. After reading all the problems everyone else was having with the program, i took the advice of the author and read the online help file. Everything seemed to work fine until I tried creating a new account. As soon as I did that, the computer shut down. I went to reboot it, and it locked up at the splash screen. I couldn't even get into Safe mode. I booted with the boot disk, and tried reinstalling Windows......No luck......I tried renaming the windows and program files directory. No luck.....Finally I gave up and applied an older Ghost image I had. I DON'T SUGGEST THIS PROGRAM!!!! IF YOU DECIDE TO INSTALL IT, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A RECENT HARDDRIVE GHOST BACKUP!!!

Thanks for suggesting it tho. Anyone have any other ideas by chance? Thanks!

Ryan