CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Sep 22, 2002, 03:19 PM
Default SCSI scanner troubles...

sponsored links

hi, i have a astra 2400s scsi scanner,but i m having trouble hooking it up. i hope anyone with info can assist me with this one. It's a good scanner to put to waste..
on my system, i have 3 hd, their SCSI ID are 0,1,2.. the cdrom ID is 4 and the cdwriter ID is 6. now, the scanner's ID is 5. When i connected the scanner to the pc and boot it up... the scsi card finds the scanner ID 5 and the rest of the hardware connected to the control card ,except it DID NOT find my third hd.. ID 2.
After it identfiy all of the ID.. 0,1,4,5,6.. and it just sits their.. it would not boot into windows.. (WINME). the scanner is terminated and it's not broken either.. but if i remove the scanner cable, the sytem boots up fine.. no proplem at all, everything is id and the system works perfect..but once i connected the cable to the system.. a hd is missing and it wouldn't boot.
where would the problem mostly like to be? the scanner itself or the controller card..?
if anyone out there that has info, please give me some advice to work around this problem.
any help is greatly appreciated....

Old Sep 22, 2002, 03:53 PM

If it hangs during the init. stages, I think the card is having some problem daisy chaining the devices attached, just a long shot, try moving the scanner to ID-3 just to see if it will pick up the first 'block' of the chain.

Old Sep 23, 2002, 02:03 AM

don't know if it helps but i had a black widow scsi scanner once and all it would work on was id7.
Old Sep 23, 2002, 11:53 AM

I take it the scsi card is terminated along with the last device on the cable and the scanner.
The only other thing is the scsi card itself as I had a similar problem when I swapped a 20 speed plextor reader for a 32 speed and the drive would crash all the time.
The only way to stop it was to unplug the scanner data cable as switching it off made no difference. In the end I bought an adaptec 2904 to replace an advansys 2940 and never looked back.