CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:25 AM

Default Why do people spend upto $100 for a Samsung drive???

sponsored links

Why do people spend upwards of $100 for a replacement Samsung drive on Ebay? I just don't get it. For less than $100 you can get a decent 4x DVD-r burner and then you don't need to worry about being able to read cd-r's. And, you can obviously do alot more with the DVD-r burner than you can with a Samsung drive in your xbox. Or, why not buy a hard drive for your xbox and FTP between your computer and the hard drive. Again, this gives you alot more options than having a Samsung drive. I just realized that I no longer use my DVD at all, everything is FTP now. I just don't get it.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 02:17 PM
Veteran

You still need a DVD drive to rip original games and to play DVD's. Plus not everyone likes to depend on FTP and a separate PC in order to play games on their Xbox.
Old Apr 13, 2004, 02:22 PM

plus the fact that samsung drives read everything
Old Apr 13, 2004, 04:47 PM

I think you guys are missing my point. There are alot of people paying close to $100 to upgrade their Thompson/Phillps to the Samsung. Presumably this is so they can read cd-r's. My question is why not just buy a dvd burner and forget about cd-r's. My Thompson will read cheap dvd-r no problem. Of course you still need the DVD drive for originals, but why are people paying a ridiculous fee to upgrade when they could just get a dvd burner or hard drive and FTP?
Old Apr 13, 2004, 06:06 PM
Veteran

Why are you asking us? Personally, I would have just spend a few more dollars and bought an entirely new xbox with a samsung built it, but that's just my opinion. Other people will have their own opinions and circumstances. No one is really right or wrong.

Other people preferences is not your problem so why are you so concerned about it?
Old Apr 13, 2004, 09:35 PM

No real reason, just bored at work and wondering.