CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old May 17, 2002, 06:15 PM

Unhappy CDRW won't read or write [Philips; CDD4201/81; win2KPro]

sponsored links

I just purchased a Philips CDRW (cdd4201/81) and installed it in an old computer I have (Pentium 2, 200mHz). The CDRW will not read a CD of any type. I have tried a CDR, a music CD, and a software CD, and am not having any luck. I was originally running windows 98, but updated to Windows 2000 pro, thinking that might help. The CDRW is on its own cable and the jumper setting is set to Master. THe computer seems to recognize the CDRW and is listed under hardware. The CDRW opens/shuts and attempts to read a CD (light comes on as it is trying to read), but has no luck. If you select that drive through MY Computer, it prompts you to insert a CD, even though one is already in it. I have tried different drivers, and that doesn't help either. I am at my wits end. Does anybody have any ideas what is wrong or any suggestions? Thanks.
Old May 17, 2002, 07:26 PM
suspended

First, try removing the burner from Device Manager and reboot to let Windows autodect the drive & install the proper driver for it.

Second, go to this page ***********.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.html?cat=/Product/ASPI-4.70 to download & update ASPI drivers.
Old May 17, 2002, 08:11 PM

Unhappy Still no luck with CDRW reading CDs

Thanks for the suggestions, but I tried them and it still does not read any type of CD. I tried removing the cdrw from the hardware, rebooting and letting windows reinstall the driver, but still couldn't read any CDs. I also downloaded and updated the ASPI, and again, still couldn't read any CDs. Is it possible the laser lens is dirty, and needs cleaning? Does anyone have any other ideas/suggestions? Thanks.