CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 04, 2004, 01:25 PM
Banned

sponsored links

Any will do, it's recomended to uses 5400 rpm drives unless you upgrade the case fan.
Old Mar 04, 2004, 02:23 PM

OK, 7200 rpm is fine, never seen an xbox overheat just because of a hot hdd, if theres a big diff in price between 2meg cache, and 8 meg cache, get the 2 meg cache one, as xbox wont make use of the extra cache.

right granted the hdds get hot, but dont bother with the fan mod (replacing the stock fan with a new one), ive done it, messy job, and its really not worth the hassle of hacking an slashing the insides of the case, when at the end of the day, just patch the bios, use xbtool, increase the fan speed by 20% (on 20% as default, just add 20 to make 40%), this will increase the voltage to the xbox fan (the stock fan is 12volt anyways, but by default only runs on around 7 volts, so the fan can handle it), somthing i do on nearly evry xbox is drill holes in the plastic harddrive chassis, drill loads, all over it, this will allow better air flow, but beleive me [b]the fan upgrade (replacing the fan with a faster one) is not needed, and a real ballache to do[/b], nother last thing, make sure you update your bios to either latest xecuter 4981 , or one thats LBA 48 patched, BEFORE you put the bigger hdd in, good luck
Old Mar 04, 2004, 02:34 PM
Banned

Didn't know that cheeky, only thing I hate about increasing the fan speed is all the damn noise, but I'm going to give it a shot as I'm running a little hot.
Old Mar 04, 2004, 02:45 PM
Veteran

xbtool as cheeky monkey said will do it- but it has this wierd quirk of rounding down to the nearest even number- if you want 25% as opposed to 20, it'll use 24%

avalaunch, mxm and unleash all also can allow fan speed changes although i'm not sure if the setting persists once the dash isn't being used e.g. in game.

i guess modifying it in the bios would be the way to go.
Old Mar 04, 2004, 02:52 PM
Banned

Unleash x, my default dash does this, it only works in these settings (0.5x, 1.0x,1.5x,2.0x) latest build keeps the speed constant, but that case mod looks very appealing. Only because 2.0x on a stock fan is louder than a vaccum cleaner.
Old Feb 01, 2009, 03:56 AM

Default new to xbox modding

hi guys i bought a modded xbox off ebay awhile ago, never really touched it

now i feel like upgrading to 200gb

but this site "********forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/37430+" it says xbox system itself can't acknowledge anything higher then 130gb size, is this true?

also i don't know how to upgrade

i tried following this tute "***********.copying-xbox-games.com/tutorials.php?tutorialid=00000032"

but i can't get it to work

the evox.ini i edited it i think its ok, but not sure
my evox XBE seems to be already called default.xbe

(i found the two files within one of the evo folers on my xbox) i have two evo apps installed on my xbox (amongst others)

i have no idea what i'm doing, but i already made a backup of 'drive C and E' and a backup folder using evolution options

made a xiso and burnt it with nero on a lite-on cr=rw although for some reason once burnting i can't view the files on it (if i burn it should i burn using iso image option)?

can someone help me?

i