CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 21, 2003, 04:10 PM

Default vhs to dvd

sponsored links

want to transfer some vhs tapes to dvd . have a dvd burner put need a card of some sort . help needed want fairly good results but don't want to go over board on price
thanks
Old Feb 21, 2003, 04:13 PM
suspended

I'm going to move this to the DVD forum for you.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 05:33 PM
Veteran

a video capture card is what you are looking for. I can't personally make any recommendations the only thing I can tell you is this STAY AWAY FROM DAZZLE. I own one of these and there is currently no good option for how to keep anything over an hour and a half from splitting into a seperate file and the render (compression process) screws up the video.
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:23 PM
Veteran

Which Dazzle do you have? I wanted to convert some 2 hour VHS movies to DVD through my PC and DVR-105, and the $200 Dazzle is the only thing I saw at Best Buy. Is there anything, anyone would reccommend?
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:36 PM

If you camcorder has a digital pass through (like mr sony trv120) you can hook your vcr up to the camcorder and use the firewire out to your firewire input in your computer and transfer it that way. You save money and theres no need for an expensive card and your signal is converted to digital in real time. Good luck
Old Feb 22, 2003, 02:32 AM
Veteran

I have the $200 Dazzle that you are referring to (model DVC150 supports USB 2.0). Don't get me wrong for anything under the split it works perfectly but for anything over about an hour and a half is a nightmare. I have used it quite successfully on shorter animated films (Any Asterix fans on here). Once you get above the split (and for those of you who are wondering yes my harddrive is NTFS and not FAT 32) you have to do what is called a render to compress the file so that it will fit in under 4 gigs. Both attempts I have made with this weren't satisfactory, one was jumpy and the audio detached from the video (kind of reminded me of an old godzilla movie) about 3 minutes into the movie. The second one was animated and it turned out much better but still looks like someone was gently shaking the camera when it was being filmed. Not acceptable in my book. So since I have already invested the $200 I am simply holding on to it until they release some real software (or a good update that has worked the bugs out of the system) until then I will only use it for films that will fit in under the split. I have heard pretty good things about Pinnacle but several people have also reported trouble with them. Any suggestions out there for a great reliable videocapture unit?