CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD > DVD/CD Media Discussion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 07, 2003, 10:41 AM

Default Artec DVD-Rom Drive doesnt play all drd-r

sponsored links

Hi,

I bought a bunch of dvdr's from the net - some with data and some video - nothing that violates copywrite. However some of the video and some of the data dvd's dont run on my PC DVD-rom drive. The video dvd's work well on my home dvd player (Sony - bought 7 years ago) but not on my dvd-rom drive. I have a Artec dvd-rom drive. What seems to happen is either when I put the dvd-r in the drive, it shows up as a 220 minute song and starts to run my Wimam mp3 player. Other times, it just doesnt even recognize the dvd-r. The player (I thought) works great - because it plays dvd movies well.

Is this a common occurance and how can I find out what the problem is ? Either the dvd- r media is not fully compatible with the drive - or if the drive is faultly ?

IF i detirmined that the dvdr media is not compatible with this drive, can anyone recommend a dvd-rom drive that has had NO problems with compatibility ? Thanks,

Anthony
Old Dec 09, 2003, 04:55 AM
Veteran

Okay. What media are these discs on? For DVD-ROM drives I would recommend the Pioneer 120 16x DVD-ROM. Above all though DO NOT GET the slot loading 120 (better known as the 120s). Get the standard one with the motorized tray as the slot loader model has issues with some software and it is more expensive anyways.
Old Dec 09, 2003, 07:32 PM

Here is the disk info - copied from the disk identifier utility

DVD+R:RICOHJPN-R01-002

Im guessing that its a +r format ? I think that may be the problem. What do you think?
Old Dec 10, 2003, 02:06 PM
Veteran

Yup Ricoh is +R. It should say that on the disc though and yes it could be a problem. DVD Writers are getting cheap enough now that it would be worth investing in one and doing them yourself.