CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 16, 2002, 02:48 PM
Veteran

Default HELP - dual boot OS - XP and Linux - problems when booting - "boot virus"

sponsored links

Hi

I have been running XP pro for a few months or so and wanted to install Linux (mandrake v9) using a dual boot to see what its like.

PC-
1.2 ghz athlon
Fic motherboard, via chipset
768 sd ram
20 gb HD (for windows)
60 gb HD, partitioned into 20 (linux for linux) and 40 (mp3's and stuff)
geforce 3 ti200

I installed Linux in a seperate partition on a secondary HD, and it has seemed to se up a dual boot as you would thought it should.

Problem is when i get to the dual boot screen.....when i type in either linux or windows, 2 of the possible boot options, it shows a red box saying that i have a boot virus. It gives me two options - to continue booting - which gets me into windows or linux fine, or to reboot inserting a clean bootable floppy - which i dont understand what will do. i have a win 98 boot disk, but it doesn't get you into windows or anything.

Anyway, i went onto windows and did a full virus scan (obviously only of the windows drives - not teh linux drive) and it found no viruses. i use norton and in the summary it said it had scanned teh master boot record and boot record aswell.

I have only had this problem since i installed linux.......any ideas how to stop it?

Someoen suggested to update my via 4 in 1 drivers......woudl i need to update these in windows and linux...... where can i download these drivers for windows and for linux?

Any other reasons why i may be having this problem, and how can i fix it.

If worst comes to the worst, i'll get rid of linux......but how do i totally remove linux and the dual boot, so it just boots straight into windows as before.

please leave a reply or email me at [email]jonhewer@hotmail.com[/email]

Thanks

RZA
Old Oct 16, 2002, 07:28 PM
Veteran

Well if it is a boot sector virus it doesn't matter where you scan from, because there's only one boot sector on a PC. i reckon that you have your virus warning on in your BIOS and it might be thinking that the boot tool you are using is a virus (i don't recommend turning this off!). I'm not sure about this as i've never had any problems like this. You can format the master boot record and then use a boot utility like bootmagic. The command in DOS is fdisk /mbr .I think first you could try updating your BIOS making sure you have those new 4-in-1 drivers although i don't think they're part of the problem.
Old Oct 17, 2002, 01:14 PM
Veteran

hi

i'm not sure abotu updatign eth bios as i looked on my mobo manufacturers site and they said it can be very dangerous, and i dont wanna screw things up further

i looked in my bios and yes it did have a virus checking thing enabled

does anyone have any suggestions

if it solves the problem i am prepared to get rid of linux for now, but how do i totally uninstall linux, removing the dual boot thing?

thanks
Old Oct 17, 2002, 01:28 PM
Veteran

I used this before when I got one.......
********invircible.com/iv_tools.php#Ivinit
HTH
Old Oct 17, 2002, 01:34 PM
Veteran

hi

thanks for the link gooner001 - i'll try the program out but:

it says:

'Note that this utility should only be used on hard drives running under DOS, and Windows 95/98 and that were configured with FDISK. If your hard drive was configured with other programs such as Partition Magic or had a boot manager installed, you are then advised to consult you program's documentation on how to repair/reinstall a defective boot system.'

i formatted my hard disk in dos using my 98 boot disk not using fdisk, just teh format command, .......is this program ok to use?

thanks
Old Oct 17, 2002, 01:38 PM
Veteran

I would say so........it was probably already partitioned correctly anyway.however.I am running XP but for your own comfort wait a little while and see what other members think..they might even be able to provide a better solution