CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Consumer's Opinion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 19, 2002, 03:05 PM

Question Will This GFX Card Work In My PC?

sponsored links

I wanted to buy this gfx card: Videologic Vivid! XS 64Mb AGP Graphics Card for my HP Pavilion 7910, at the moment i have 8mb onboard gfx and wanted to update to the above card, the HP website says that i have a free AGP slot, so if i install this will i be able to disable the onboard gfx card? also is this a good gfx card?dont wanna buy a piece of crap!

Thnx 4ur help guys!
Old Oct 19, 2002, 03:36 PM
suspended

If the mobo has a free AGP, there would be an option in the BIOS to disable the on-board video.

Check to see if the AGP slot is 4X or 2X.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 04:13 PM

Cheers for the reply van nugget! from what i gather there is a free AGP slot on the mobo cause ive printed the spec of and it says theres one free, with the bios though i have a problem! when i start my pc up i get a blue screen with just the hp logo on and then it just boots straight into XP? i dunno how to get into the bios?

how could i find out if the agp slot is 2x or 4x?

Sorry for all the questions its just ive been trying to play some new games i bought on the system and the 8mb just isnt enough! ive bought gta3, hitman 2 & mafia and they all dont work properly!

cheers for the help guys!

oh yeah should i pop the case and look for a free agp slot?

[b]This is what it says about the agp on their site: Bus architecture: AGP 2.0 bus master, so im gathering its a 2x agp slot? will this work on my pc?[/b]

Last edited by Mr.Shabz; Oct 19, 2002 at 04:25 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 04:53 PM
suspended

Get the [url=***********.3bsoftware.com/downloads/sandra.html]Sandra Standard (Trial) version. It'll tell you a lot about your system, including the AGP.

Most mobos that have 4x AGP would let you switch b/w 4x and 2x manually in the BIOS or would automatically do it for you. However, some don't and you may damage the mobo when using 2x AGP video cards on these mobos. Anyway, make sure you get a 4x card unless the AGP slot you have is a 2x.
Old Oct 19, 2002, 05:05 PM
suspended

Forgot 1 thing, to enter the BIOS setup screen, as soon as you see the HP logo screen try pressing F1.
Old Oct 20, 2002, 12:34 AM
Veteran

Well, for one thing that graphic card wont hold up with most newer games. Look into ATI or Nvidia cards with 64mb DDR or if you have the cash 128mb DDR. Usually the ATI Radeon 8500 or GF3 series are decent. Best is Radeon 9700Pro or GF4Ti4600