CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Consumer's Opinion
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 17, 2003, 04:13 AM
Veteran

Default SVP Pioneer 106 owners look in

sponsored links

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Piemagic on ********** [/i]
[B]Hi guys,
I recently bought a pioneer 106 drive from SVP like most people because the price is very competitive.
Once my new 106 drive was installed I went to the Pioneer website to download the latest firmware. Once downloaded I went to install the firmware, however I kept getting errors messages saying it cannot locate the drive
I rang Pioneer Technical Support for some help and they asked me to tell them the code on the sticker the top of the drive (Pioneer DVR-106RD) and apparently this is not the correct Pioneer drive and should not be sold in the UK. Technical Support at Pioneer explained that these drives were produced to be sold as part of a whole computer package and not to be sold seperatley.

Im not *****ing about SVP as I think they are a superb company and they have fully refunded my money no problem, but I do believe that people should be made aware of what they are buying. The drive itself I had no problem with (it worked fine) It was just the issue with not ever being able to update the firmware.
So take this into account before spending all that money.

Mods, if this in anyway breaks the rules then I will remove it immediatly.

Hope this helps some1
Pie [/B]
Old Oct 17, 2003, 07:19 AM
Veteran

probably, bought on a white market, to offer great savings to customers, similar to the designer goods (clothes) offered by asda, tesco, etc,
pioneer will not like thier prices being cut as it forces cuts to retailers, hence profit loss, so no back up from customer support.
but at the price, still good value, and who uses pioneer firmware now anyway????
imho, 90% of the f/ware used today is hacked, and pioneer customer support wont help whoever supplied the drive.
also knowing svp reputation of testing etc, i`m quite sure they would help in this situation or your money back.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 09:09 AM
suspended

Hacked firmware worked just fine on my drive, I'm happy.
Old Oct 17, 2003, 03:14 PM
Veteran

It all depends on the individual drive I guess. I won't touch hacked firmware again after my first 105 burned out (only 8 months of use ). Anyways it doesn't matter anymore since I am paying the same price for the G04 Riteks now as I was for my G03 Riteks just a few months ago. It's nice to be able to burn at 4x and not worry about whether or not the hacked firmware is going to kill my drive.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 12:59 PM
Veteran

Most pioneer oem drives are the same not just the 106, Thats what happens im afraid say for instance these drives were produced for nec for example then nec would supply firmware updates, Anyhow theres a freely available updater to cure this problem and also as Lazza stated hacked firmware which also makes the drive rpc1 and records 1x discs at 2x theres mixed opinions on this i agree but i have or had 2 105's one with standard firmware and one with NILs 2x4all and the standard one packed in after 13 months whereass the hacked one is still going strong and burned twice as many disks. I honestly dont think that a hacked firware will make any difference whatsoever as long as it keeps withing the writers limits, And once hacked can then be reverted back to pioneers own firmware anyhow.
Old Oct 18, 2003, 02:39 PM
Veteran

As I said I think it all depends on the individual drive itself.