CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup > Dreamcast
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 14, 2004, 04:02 AM
Veteran

Default Dc resetting

sponsored links

Whats the fix to stop the Dc resetting.I know you have to clean a contact point somewhere but i have forgotten where
Old Jan 14, 2004, 10:41 AM
Veteran

Cleaning the laser lens and the disc is what usually fixes it for me.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 02:16 PM

i got the same problem and cleaning the laser never helped
lmk how you get on
Deek
Old Jan 30, 2004, 04:14 PM
Veteran

I found this still on my computer from when I had the same problem...

Quote:
I had this problem as well. MY Dreamcast would randomly reset itself as if someone turned the power off then quickly turned it back on. Throughout time, it got the the piont where it was resetting like someone was playing around with the power button as it were a flashing light at a party. I thought my DC was dying. But, I found out what happens inside the dreamcast and how it causes the dreamcast to reset.
The Dreamcast takes mains supply voltage straight into the back of the system, and this voltage (240v Europe, 110 v America) needs to be stepped down and converted to a stable DC current that the electronic components can handle. As the electricity enters your dreamcast it passes through a step down transformer which reduces the voltage, unfortunately step down transformers generate heat and as things warm up they expand , the step down transformer in the dreamcast is located on a separate circuit board, the main power board, which is on the left hand side in the dreamcast above the Main mother board and to the left of the GD rom assembly, this is why the left side of the dreamcast gets warmer.
The main power board is connected to the dreamcast mother board by six aluminium pins, as the power board heats up it expands lightly putting pressure on the pins and over time this will bend them slightly, resulting in a poor electrical connection that will cause your dreamcast to re-set at random.

This is what you do to fix the problem. Read the following carefully and if you think you can't do it, then don't attempt this.

1) Disconnect from the mains, remove all cables from the dreamcast and
any game disc thatís inside

2) Remove the modem

3) undo the four screws in the base of the Dreamcast and KEEP SAFE

4) Remove the lid. On the left hand side you will see: the
Main power board, with the GD rom assembly to the right, the input port
Circuit board at the base, and in the bottom left hand side you will see the
power on/off switch, this switch is Connected to the power board with a grey cable , at the power board end of the cable their is a white connector, grip the connecter at the base and lift clear.

5) undo the two brass screws that hold the Power board down and KEEP SAFE

6) towards the base of the power board you will see a white connector, it has six pins sticking out, gently lift the power board out of the dreamcast and off the pins.

7) Under the power board there is a clear plastic insulation sheet DO NOT REMOVE THIS, IF YOU DO PUT IT BACK. look at the pins and clean any dirt off them DONT USE ANY LIQUID to clean them with

9) GENTLY apply SMALL amount of pressure to pins pushing them towards the back of the dreamcast DO NOT BEND THEM, JUST APPLY A
SMALL AMOUNT OF PRESSURE

10) Reassemble the dreamcast and try it out. Good luck.
Hope this is the info you were looking for!
Old Feb 01, 2004, 05:08 AM

there is a matchstick method where you insert 4 matches between the power supply pins. never tried it myself but heard it works somewhere. i'll send you the instructions,
Old Feb 01, 2004, 06:32 PM
Veteran

It was a stupid design by Sega just to save a small amount of money.

I actually soldered my contacts together and it now works perfectly - I wouldn't recommend the use of matchsticks (and obviously you meant either used or with tips cut off) - remember the wood is also flammable and the DC can get pretty hot inside. Consider the fact these are electrical contacts and they may create a spark when they move even slightly.

The idea is sound though, using a non-flammable item to exert pressure on the contacts making sure they are touching.