CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 22, 2003, 09:28 AM
Veteran

Default help on downloading speeds from newsgroups

sponsored links

can some one please help me out as i was wondering why my speed is slow when downloading from newsgroups as everyone else says they fast.

i am with bt openworld and have a 576kbs connection speed and i have a account with easynews and i am using the dap download accelerator to download the files,and i am only downloading at around 45-54kbs.
Is there any way i can download at a faster speed?

I am not using any news reader as i used xnews before and every time you search for files you have to download every file on the group before it finds all the files you need which takes ages.

can some one please help?

cheers
Old Feb 22, 2003, 10:22 AM

that does seem pretty slow. When I use my ISP's news server I usually get about 250 kb/sec, I also have an easynews account which averages about 150 kb/sec. It's possible you're loosing a bit of speed if you are in the UK (and your "cheers" tells me you are). because I believe easynews is based in the US. Are you able to get faster downloads elsewhere? It could be your ISP is overclogged or something.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 11:11 AM
Veteran

Moving this to Open.
Old Feb 22, 2003, 05:16 PM
Veteran

Well on a 576kb/s connection, the max you are going to get is 72KB/s, but the cable company may have capped you on your downloads (Charter did that to me). But I have a 768kb/s (But when I test it I get around 1.5mb/s) connection and I can download up to 200KB/s, but on newsgroups due to my cap I can only get 30KB/s.
So it may just be your connection. Go to broadband reports in the tools section and test your speed out and see what they are giving you as your download speed.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 04:14 AM
Veteran

bb

I'm with BTO and also use Easynews,your speeds are about ave or perhaps a 'little' on the slow side. I use Agent and unfortunately it does'nt have a download speed monitor but when I used NewsBin or NewsShark I was getting anywhere from 55-65kbs epending on when I was downloading. There are a lot of factors regarding what you'll get when downloading ie contention rate on your ADSL,site traffic etc etc. There is a facility to test the throughput on Easynews site which is basically a 'trace route' but it lists all the hops betwteen BTO and Easynews do the test and you'll see where the bottleneck is, if the results show responses that are high and they are more than the first I think it's 4 -5 hops then BTO will tell you that they are not responsible for the slowdown or bottleneck,you'll just have to live with it. Take an overall speed test at ***********.adslguide.org.uk/ to see what 'overall' results you get. Take a look at this page as well at Easynews ***********.easynews.com/slow/slow.html

Smiffy