CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 13, 2002, 01:57 PM

Default .cda format problem with lite-on 32x12x40 ltd163 cd-rw

sponsored links

I have a lite-on cd-rw model ltd 163 and today i tried to copy a music cd with the songs being in .cda format it wouldnt work trying with nero or clone cd. is there something i am forgetting to do or do i have a problem...
Old Feb 13, 2002, 05:06 PM
Veteran

There could be something you are doing wrong. You haven't really told us what you've done, only what you are trying to do and what you used to do it. Did you get any error messages? Did anything get burned to the CD? What steps did you take in Nero, etc. Also your title and post imply you have an LTD 163 CD-RW, but the LTD 163 is a DVD-ROM.
Old Feb 13, 2002, 06:20 PM

well you are 100 % correct i did mention the wrong item...i ment the 32x12x40 lite-on cdrw...

although i have figured out why it was not working in clone cd all i had to do is uncheck amplify weak sectors and it worked. As far as nero goes..

i was trying to take certain songs of of a cd i had made last year.

and all the songs are in .cda file format. i didnt think this was a problem so i started dragging the songs i wanted to write into the area where you tell nero what songs you want and then told it to write the cd...

when it finished which was only about 1 minute later it had only written about 1.5 mb and it was unreadable ...

at a loss as to what could be the problem..
Old Feb 13, 2002, 09:24 PM
Veteran

the CDA files you are seeing are not actually files but more like bookmarks to the starting point of the song on the CD. Have a look in Windows Explorer and look at the audio CD. Notice they are only 1k in size.

You need to use a ripping program to rip the audio from the CD and store it as a wave file on your drive. Then fire up your burning program and choose to make an audio CD. Drag the waves over in nero and it will convert them to the proper audio CD format.

Alternatively, most burning programs will now let you rip or copy audio CD's so you can skip the wav dump to your hard drive.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 12:49 AM
Veteran

Roger is correct the .cda files are actually 44 byte files that aren't actually on the CD, are created for information and used for creating file associations with the related Audio Tracks (which are not files).

You can drag .cda files to the compilation Window in Nero, but it must be an Audio Compilation Window. This will also result in tracks being written in TAO (track at once) mode. Since this is not the prefered method you should follows Rogers suggestion and rip the files to your hard drive as waves first.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 06:28 PM
Veteran

A good, free, audio ripping progy here:

***********.cdex.n3.net/

Easy to use