CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 11, 2003, 08:45 AM
Veteran

Default How long should the 1st pass of a two pass xvid encode take?

sponsored links

Ok here goes- from what i've learnt off this board I basically uninstalled the codec packs i had on my machine, and got my self the the Gordian Knot Rippack (0.28.6 & 0.28.6.2 update) and the Gordian Knot codec pack

Deleted all my previous versions of vdub mod and besweet as well as uninstalling avisynth which i already had installed (worried about conflict between avisynth which would be installed by the rip pack).

Anyway I am working on this dvd compliant mpeg2 (720x480) with ac3 audio (3_2 384 kbps-although not sure if it is a real 5.1 audio)-(think the source is hdtv)

using the dvd2avi prog provided in the rip pack have created a dvd2avi project (movie.d2v) and the accompanying ac3 audio file has also been demuxed and is about 125mb in size

All i have in my avisynth scirpt file is:

LoadPlugin("C:\......\MPEG2Dec3.dll")
MPEG2Source("D\......\movie.d2v")

There are no surrounding black frames etc and i haven't done any resizing- i am still too new to this mess around with all the really fancy filters

The .avs file opened up fine in the new vdubmod (installed as part of the rip pack-version 1.5.4.1) when i tried to open it as a standard video source file- but not when i tried to open via avisynth (the Ctrl+V option)- which i though was wierd

Anyway being a higher quality file than i normally work with i've decided to go the full blown 2 pass xvid route.

Here seems to be the problem- I've chosen 2 pass-1st pass, and used and pretty much left all other advanced options untouched (other than downgrading the quality of the begin and end credits) and setting quantization type to MPEG as opposed to h.263

Anyway seeing as i've done it via avisytnh I have chosen to do a fast recompress- but it has now been about 1 and a half hours and the estimated duration of the process is over three hours!!

Have i done something wrong here? or is this normal?

xvid codec used is (XviD Koepi 24062003-1)

Last edited by nimbles; Nov 11, 2003 at 08:49 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 10:49 AM
Veteran

Open via AVISynth is for opening files via AVISynth, not actually opening AVISynth scripts.

No idea what your PC specs are or how long the source is.

Also not sure if you have bframes, trellis quants, VHQ or whatever enabled.

Also the higher res the encode, the slower it will go.
Old Nov 11, 2003, 12:47 PM
Veteran

thanks celtic_druid, yeah i had vhq and bframes enabled

just a quick question about audio. Is there any chance that this is a true 5.1 ac3 audio stream- what with it being from a tv source at the end of the day.

if so i've been looking at what besweet's options are it seems i can either downmix the ac3 to a lower bit rate (what is lowest that this can really be? i was thinking either 224 or 192kbps) or i can do a 5.1 ogg vorbis audio file- although this looks like it may take up quite alot of space.
Old Nov 15, 2003, 04:49 AM
Veteran

Thanks celtic_druid i finally had some time to get it sorted- first couple of times i kept getting 3 frames overlapping each other with a load of green horizontal lines along the top half of the screen and just solid green on the bottom half.

Not exactly sure what i did differently other than resizing before processing with vdubmod.

Anyway one last question related to downmixing the ac3- be sweet's encoder seems to have a bug in it which causes the volume of the output to be quite alot lower than the original source which seems to be acknowledged by the besweet developers- are there any other alternatives you know of?
Old Nov 15, 2003, 08:29 AM
Veteran

Make sure that you resize to a MOD16 resolution, by this I mean divisable by 16, like 640x272 if the movie is 2.35:1.

Have you considered using HE AAC for 5.1 audio? There is also real audio which can do it at 128k, no idea of the quality though.

HeadAC3e would be an alternative, it can output wav, mp3 or vorbis. v1.0.1 and GT3b1 vorbis DLL's are avialble for it to.