CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Mar 09, 2004, 06:46 AM
Veteran

Default Anyone have a DK DIVX DVD Player?

sponsored links

Saw it for just under 80 and I am looking to get a new DVD Player and now that I have Broadband I have been downloading alot of Divx and Xvid files and this player would save me the trouble of having to convert them but was just wondering if anyone had got one and if so what it was like.
Old Mar 09, 2004, 08:45 AM
Veteran

If you want something to play your divx and xvid get a Xbox works great and also you get to play games..
Old Mar 09, 2004, 09:08 AM
Veteran

What chipset does it use?
Old Mar 09, 2004, 09:38 AM
Veteran

hey Inidana Jones, this link may help- some guy has got a test copy, and people are asking about it- think you can post any queires there.

***********.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/forums/thread.asp?Forum=223&Thread=275850&Type=1

Celtic_Druid this is what i found out about the chipset- can't remember if this is the dodgy chipset that ripped off mplayer:

MPEG 4 decoding chipset - Mediatek Integrated Sigma Design single chip

Heres maybe a more in depth description of the the player:
***********.tech-tonic.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=49

I've gone down the xbox route for divx/xvid playback, to be honest a standalone player would probably be more cost effective if you are solely gonna be playing divx xvid type material.

Being software based the xbmedia player/center projects will have the added flexibility (streaming over network, playback of mp4, real media, quicktime, .ogm & .mkv formats) and codec updates are swiftly implemented in the latest release (not really an issue as most of these releasers use pretty standard "old" codecs to prevent people complaining about it not working/playing)

These stand alone players don't have those advatages but i guess its horses for courses (preferably not ridden by Kieron Fallon )

Last edited by nimbles; Mar 09, 2004 at 09:40 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2004, 10:50 AM
Veteran

Mediatek Integrated Sigma Design single chip?? It is either using a Mediatek chipset (good) or Sigma Designs (bad).

It is a Kiss firmware that ripped off mplayer. Interestingly enough though Kiss use Sigma chipsets and Sigma Designs got busted awhile ago for stealing XviD code.

Sigma have a new chipset though, which should be better than their original one (still no GMC support) however I am not sure that it is being used in players yet.
Old Mar 09, 2004, 12:04 PM
Veteran

ok well from the site above, it says:

Quote:
The DK DivX uses the world renowned MEDIATEK decoding chip for the clearest possible Audio and Video playback
but in the spec then says:

Quote:
MPEG 4 decoding chipset - Integrated Sigma Design single chip
I gues i put 2+2 together and got 5