CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Aug 03, 2002, 08:24 AM
suspended

Exclamation Is Hotmail now Spyware?

sponsored links

Thought that a lot of people might be interested or alarmed even at a letter I read in the September issue of PC Answers (UK) today:-

Hotmail users should be warned: MSN has activated new preferences in the personal profile section of your Options Folder for [B]ALL[/B] Hotmail accounts. These are: [B]"Share my email address"[/B] , and [B]"Share my other registration information"[/B] .

This means that your email address and personal details are now being shared among third parties - without your consent or knowledge that this is happening. Perhaps the "shared" information is being sold? This may be one reason why Hotmail attracts spam like iron filings to a magnet. We have abandoned our Hotmail accounts. This is nothing less than a violation of our privacy and betrayal of trust!

[I]Frank Macskasy, New Zealand[/I]

Well thank you Microsoft!!!
Old Aug 04, 2002, 12:23 AM
Veteran

Absolutely absurd...though not entirely shocking!

Thanks for the info Lazza!

-Zack-
Old Aug 04, 2002, 04:48 AM
Veteran

Its well out of order and I dont know because I never read there privacy statement but are they breaking the law maybe here? Yahoo did the same thing not so long ago too.
Old Aug 04, 2002, 07:29 AM
suspended

In fact, I feel this is such a wide issue as many, many members here must use Hotmail I will move this thread to the "Open" forum for a while so that as many as possible can read this and deceide what action they want to take.

I checked my "not so" HOT mail A/C yesterday and lo and behold those options were both enabled without my knowledge or consent!!!

Another bad move by M$!!!
Old Aug 04, 2002, 07:56 AM
Veteran

How .NET Passport Will Not Use Your Personal Information

.NET Passport will not sell or rent your personal information to third parties.

.NET Passport will not use or share your personal information in a manner that differs from what is described in this Privacy Statement without your prior consent.

***********.passport.com/consumer/privacypolicy.asp?lc=1033
Old Aug 04, 2002, 08:02 AM
Veteran

Hmm now wheres my lawyers number

Last edited by uk_trader; Aug 04, 2002 at 08:04 AM.