CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Legacy Game Backup
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 30, 2002, 10:19 AM

Default Can someone give me some info on a PSX5501?

sponsored links

Guys-

I ran into a problem last night while soldering a stealth chip to a 5501. Can chips be no good off the bat? I soldered the chip and all contacts looked good but the PSX woould NOT boot up? Not only a burned game but a normal game as well?

I took it apart to make sure all my contact were good. They looked fine. This is my 3rd solder job on these so I have some experiance at this.

I ran into a problem. On the 4th contact point the solder came off the contact? I can NOT get the solder to stick to it any more? How can I get it to stick if at all? Did I screw this up so it is no longer upgragable to a chip?

I cut all chip wires and the PSX booted up fine then?

Could the chip be no good? And how can I solder to the 8th point on the board with no contact there?

Thanks for your time. And sorry if this is the wrong topic forum to post in? I wasn't sure where to put it...

Thanks gain..

Spankey

Last edited by spankey; Jan 30, 2002 at 11:20 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2002, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Can someone give me some info on a PSX5501?

I reckon ur chip is ok as i never came across a defective one and i'v chipped over 200 consoles, the problem is ur 8th solder point,
The only way out of that is to trace the link on the pcb to that point, and solder it their, or if you can see the small line that led to that point just gently scrape the insulation layer off it and soldier directly onto that line, and remember not to have your soldering iron too hot next time, On the other hand you can put a 4 wire chip in it assuming it does not need the same point. Good Luck
Ray

Last edited by ray-comp; Jan 31, 2002 at 07:11 AM.