CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 06, 2003, 12:23 PM

Default cd-rw will not read or burn .cda format [sony crx140e; ; win98]

sponsored links

I recently installed a new daytek dvd rom. My previous set-up was the cd-rw with a cd rom. Everything worked fine. After I installed the dvd rom in place of the cd rom, I found out that I could not read or burn .cda format. I can read and burn mp3s, .wav, documents, etc. When I do burn songs with .cda format, the songs show that they are all there, but there is no sound. I can't play them in my cd rom or home stereo, but they will play on the dvd rom.

The original set-up had the cd rom with an audio line coming from it but no audio line from the cd rw. All worked fine. When I switched the dvd rom for the cd rom this is when the problem seemed happen. When I moved the audio wire to the cd rw, I could play .cda format, but then I could not play them on the dvd rom. I have an onboard sound card that has only one audio plug in.

I also install an IBM 40g hard drive. I don't know if that makes any difference but I thought I would mention it.

If anyone has any ideas or could point me in the right direction, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks

Rick
Old Jan 06, 2003, 09:32 PM
suspended

cda (Compact Disc Audio) is not a file format, it is a file extension that Windows uses to describe Audio CD tracks.

To copy CD Audio you need to rip it to your HD - producing either MP3 or wav files. If you want to burn it to CDR then wav is your best bet as it is uncompressed and won't lose any of the quality.

Then use the wav files as the source for producing an Audio CD, Do not choose ISO 9660 / multisession etc for Audio CDs, choose the 'Audio CD' option in your Burning software.

For a good CD Ripper check out [url=***********.mp3workshop.cjb.net]MP3 Workshop or [url=***********.audiotools.co.uk/cdrippers.shtml] Audiotools.co.uk/cdrippers
Old Jan 06, 2003, 09:52 PM

I was able to burn audio cds prior to installing the dvd rom. My cd-rw will not play cd audios. New or burned. I could do all functions with the cd-rw before the dvd rom. I don't understand why placing the dvd rom in place of the cd rom would change anything. I made no other changes.

Thanks.

Rick