CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Dec 10, 2003, 02:27 PM

Default Can't install antivirus or firewall software.

sponsored links

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I restarted my computer and Norton Anti-Virus came up with an error message giving me one option which was to un-install it. The autoprotect was also automatically disabled and the norton personal firewall icon didn't load on startup.

I uninstalled both software and tried reinstallnig them but the setup would not let me. So, I tried other firewall software such as Kerio and Sygate and them type of thing kept happening. Also, everytime I try using remote connection software, it wont work and it comes up with an error:

'Unable to start. Error: Unable to start service RpcSvr4x. OS Error: 0xc1 (%1 is not a valid Win32 application.)'

My computer has been like this for a few weeks now with no firewall and anti-virus software installed, please help.

I used HouseCall online scanner and it didn't find any viruses or anything, also tried Spyware scans and i updated to service pack 1 and installed all windows updates. i also ran fixblast.exe and i have the patch installed too and nothing was found.

this file has also been created on my C:/ drive directory called 'Program' and under its file format it just says 'File' and it is 779 bytes in size and 32.0 KB (32,768 bytes) size on disk it says. I am quite sure that this was created when i started having this problem.

Thanks again
Kev

Last edited by kev269; Dec 10, 2003 at 02:38 PM.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 05:29 PM

may i inquire to what what kind of os you have, if it is xp could you not just go to a saved backup position before your problem began and start from there.

If you are properly backed up maytbe it may be time to redo your drive.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 05:57 PM
Veteran

You most likely have a virus or worm that disables your anti virus and firewalls looks like its stopping you from reinstalling too. Unless you can identify what it is and remove it manually or with a cleaning tool youll most likely need a reinstall.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 07:42 AM

i did a restore and the same problem was still happening.

Like I said, i did virus scans, it did find a virus but i cleaned it and have scanned a few times since and hasn't found anything.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 09:06 AM
Veteran

You can fight with this for a long time or just backup what's important, reformat and reinstall XP.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 01:26 PM
Veteran

Just to add every time you run system restore the virus will be restored too you should always turn it of even when removing them and remove any previous restore points.
Closed Thread